Quicktime ALWAYS needs updating, grrrr!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Honey63

Everytime Quicktime opens on my computer (which is frequently because some of my toddlers' educational games use it) I get an error message saying some of my Quicktime files are out of date and it gives me an option to cancel or update. Every time I select "Update Now" and nothing happens!!! I'm STILL getting the error message.

Quicktime was installed on my computer when I installed iTunes, which didn't give me an option NOT to install. I've uninstalled Quicktime and installed Quicktime Alternatives but that won't open one file in particular (a .mov file my cousin sent me) and I'm STILL getting the Quicktime update message. I even downloaded and installed RAD Video tools after reading a post somewhere here and STILL I can't open this darn file, grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Can someone help me with the "always popping up update required" message please? Also, how would I go about opening this ".mov" file please?

Thanks,

Rob.

I recommend that you ditch QT and any of apple's products, and do with Quick Time Alternative, which plays .mov files just fine.

Honey63

Hi blaqDeaph :)

I'm not overly keen on iTunes but it does allow me to create numerous playlists to suit my moods. Can you recommend another program that I can use in its place? And if I uninstall iTunes, will that completely rid me of Quicktime? I've never liked Quicktime so I have absolutely no problem with removing that! ;D

Rob.

i had that prob. with quicktime a while back...after uninstalling and reinstalling then actually updating it all straightened out. the update did take a while as i recall.

Find what is in the startup with msconfig and uncheck what is for QT.

Find the Qttask.exe and uncheck it.
Note if there is a QT update and you get the update then it needs to be unchecked again because QT puts it back into startup.

I also got all the updates for QT pro and I now also have "QUICKTIMEUPDATEHELPER.EXE" but I used WinPatrol to disable it.

Quicktime Updates - QUICKTIMEUPDATEHELPER.EXE

QUICKTIMEUPDATEHELPER.EXE installs with Quicktime 5.x and 6.x. It runs when you download updates for your Quicktime software. One of the things this program does is pass along the number of downloaded updates to "Quicktime Update Completion". That then reports to you the number of updates successfully downloaded. This file should not need to be running all the time.

Honey63

Thanks guys, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling, maybe after I uninstall iTunes, but to be honest I just don't like the program. It always seems to take over when it's on my computer! :(

Anyway, it's NOT in the startup, I checked that after reading your post Hewee. It USED to be, which makes me wonder whether QT is actually updating at all? When I get the update message, I usually click on the "do it now" button, but then nothing seems to happen, so maybe it's not actually updating.

I guess I'll go find another music playing program and just get rid of QT and iTunes and keep QTA!!

Thanks! :D

Rob.

Well open QT and go to edit, preferences. Then from the dropdown pick "Update check" and uncheck the "check for updates automatically".

Then you can go to the " file type association" from the dropdown and click the file types...button.
There is the defalt button that you can click on and it will set up the defaults. The defults do not use that many of the setting there so most will not be checked.
Plus you can even uncheck more.
Just click apply and then ok after you make the changes in each part.

There is also Jetaudio that I like and use.
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/jetaudio/

The basic version is free but it does a lot still.
Differences between Basic & Plus versions
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/jetaudio/basic_plus.html

Supports All Major File Formats
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/jetaudio/features_01.html

Skins
http://www.cowonamerica.com/download/skins/list_skin.asp?product=rank_skin

Visualizations
http://www.cowonamerica.com/download/visualizations/index.html

Honey63

Thanks Hewee, I'll go check Jetaudio out in a minute! :D I've uninstalled QT and it's STILL bringing up the update box when I open QTA so I'm not sure what's going on there. I think I'll just update all of it, run Registry First Aid and then reinstall QTA.

Thanks,

Rob.

You may have something else in itunes that needs to be uncheck.

Maybe look in the msconfig but look at the autoexec.bat tab to see if it is loading something there.

Also a PC reboot may also be needed.

Honey63

Hi Hewee :)

I've uninstalled iTunes and installed JETAudio. Took me a while to figure out how to use it, but I like it and it doesn't "intrude" on my PC, so thanks for the suggestion! :D I've also uninstalled EVERYTHING to do with QT. Even with Quicktime Alternative, I was STILL getting the "you need to update QT" message popping up and it was driving me nuts, so it went!!! I guess time will tell how I go in the future with QT because I know I need it for at least one of my toddlers' educational games. I kept getting the update message with at least one program of theirs too. If it comes up again, then I'll try updating again but I'd say it'll tell me I have to install it first.

Tell me, is there anywhere I can download QT to install WITHOUT iTunes? Whenever I've done a search I only find it on the iTunes site.

Thanks again! :D

Rob.

Honey63

Tried that one Noyb and I was still getting the "update" warning from QT ... sigh!! Now I've removed both iTunes and Quicktime, I'll try this one again! :D

Rob.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I Understand ... but I'm thinking the popup is not coming from QT Alternative.
Need to completely remove QT - or - shut it down in msconfig.

Honey63

Ni Noyb and t bone :)

I'll go try reinstalling QTA and see how I go. If that STILL brings up the silly message I was getting, I'll uninstall yet again and try the link t bone's sent me! :D

Thanks guys! :D

Rob.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online