1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quicktime files don't play audio in my PC

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sjnaz, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sjnaz

sjnaz Thread Starter

Lately over the past couple of weeks or so, whenever I play a quicktime movie on my PC, it plays the video, but there's no audio. If I put the exact same files on a usb drive and play it on someone else's pc or mac, both the audio and video play just fine. What's happening?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+, x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1023 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon X1600/X1650 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 117239 MB, Free - 1442 MB; K: Total - 476906 MB, Free - 380155 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A7N8X-LA
    Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5.0, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Do you have a recent version of QuickTime?

3. sjnaz

sjnaz Thread Starter

Now that you said that, I went ahead and installed the latest version of quicktime, and sure enough, it fixed the problem. Thanks Phantom! :)

4. sjnaz

sjnaz Thread Starter

I spoke too soon. The audio played back fine on one qt file I had on my desktop, but I have a whole bunch of other ones in a folder inside the My Documents folder that still don't play audio. I should add that the ones that do work were created by exporting the video from Avid to "quicktime same as source" and the ones that still don't play audio are ones that were originally shot on an ipod nano camera, then converted from mpeg to mov in a program I have called "quick media converter."
    The converted ipod videos did play audio before, just like the Avid exports, but something happened several weeks ago to cause the ipod qt's to stop playing audio for some reason, at least in my computer.

5. sjnaz

sjnaz Thread Starter

I spoke too soon. The audio played back fine on one qt file I had on my desktop, but I have a whole bunch of other ones in a folder inside the My Documents folder that still don't play audio. I should add that the ones that do work were created by exporting the video from Avid to "quicktime same as source" and the ones that still don't play audio are ones that were originally shot on an ipod nano camera, then converted from mpeg to mov in a program I have called "quick media converter."
    The converted ipod videos did play audio before, just like the Avid exports, but something happened several weeks ago to cause the ipod qt's to stop playing audio for some reason, at least in my computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064338