Quicktime problem!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kalv

When i try to stream videos with quicktime, only some of them work. When they don't work, it tells me to get quicktime version 5.0 or higher. This also happens sometimes when i try to stream with WMP.

Quicktime 7 is now required to view most things through the Apple site such as streaming trailers. You might just need to upgrade to Quicktime 7. It comes packaged with iTunes, but there is a stand-alone player available from the Quicktime site.

Also I heard on a podcast that you may have to fully uninstall the version you have now. and then install the new version. If you cannot uninstall the version you have no, download that same version. install it. immediately run the uninstaller and then install the new quicktime.

This morning I was operating Windows XP with the latest version of Apple Quicktime. When I decided to load a music CD titled "LCD: Zorbas Dance" - 1996 with my intention to watch the included music video, the CD decided to install QuickTime 32 - the old and early version of QuickTime. It did this without question and without my approval. Obviously the CD is old and is intended for older operating systems like the one we had back then, Windows 95.

Please could somebody help me in this matter? I noticed that it had actually installed the old version when I saw the two icons, QuickTime and QuickTime 32 on the Control panel page. I have uninstalled the latest version of QuickTime but the QuickTime 32 icon is still on the Control Panel page, I am unable to uninstall this one though. 2.1.2.59 is the version. 25-8-96 is the file date listed on the quicktime component page.

Thanks.

Uninstall as many versions as you can. Whichever version remains install it again. Run the uninstaller.

When you insert the CD hold they SHIFT key, and for added reliability disable autoplay/autorun. This should prevent the quicktime installer from running.

Hi,

I did find a solution to my problem.
Thanks very much for the advice. Thankfully I was able to follow the directions of a Google Groups user who had originally posted in 1999 (which shows how old Quicktime 32 was, it came out in 1996 I think and I can't believe that CD installed it).

Below is what the guy had to say
Do a search for all files named "qt". There is one called qtdel.exe (as I
recall) whose icon consists of a red slash through the usual Quick Time icon.
It'll uninstall it.

Good Luck
Bill Higdon

http://groups.google.com.au/group/al...2d99cd16d763e2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online