1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quite Parts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by funkdmonkey, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey Thread Starter

At the moment it sounds like im sitting beside a colony of bees and a few 1200 rpm cars. Im seeking to reduce the noise definetly, but what parts cause the most noise?

3.0ghz Intel P4
    ATi AIW 9800pro
    p4p800-e mobo
    Not sure there are other fans, dont wanna check, last time i opened case i made quiet a few problems....

I know my processor has a loud fan and my vid card is ok i guess. Can you swap fans/heatsinks? Also, my case is pretty generic would getting a different case (like antec) make it quiter? When i play music or games my volume dethrones the annoying droning, but when im just browsing the web i can here oh so clearly.

2. mangojump

mangojump

all the things u suggested are good ways of reducing sound, a good case will help a lot but can be expensive,

the easiest way is to replace your stock CPU and graphics card HSF for quieter ones, you can get graphics card heatsinks that dont need a fan for not much cash at all,
    if your mobo has a fan on the northbridge chipset then you can exchange that for a silent heatsink(ie. no fan)

the other quick way is to rip out those noisy case fans and put in some nice quiet ones

best place to go for reference would be.... www.quietpc.com

3. Whaines

Whaines

Yes, a new case is the best option. Thermaltake has some nice ones with Hardcano fan systems allowing you to control your fan speeds, even the CPU fan. Takes awhile to set up, but they're worth it. I love mine!

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Well, before you go buying new parts I would suggest figuring out what parts are making the most noise.

This will require opening the side of the PC while it's running and listening to each part that could be making the noises.

Best tool for this would be a stethoscope.
    Or you could use a length of rubber tubing. Hold one end to an ear and the other near each part.

Here's a list of likely culprits:
    Case fans
    Harddrives
    CPU Heatsink fan
    Power Supply fans
    Video Card fans

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Exactly

If it's your heatsink, then you can get an adaptor and run a larger fan on it (highly recommended if your running a loud 60mm fan, just get a 80mm to 60mm adaptor and stick a case fan on)... If it's your video card, then you can buy a replacement cooler for it.. If it's your power supply, then it's probably not a high quality one and you might think about replacing it with a high quality one. If it's your case fans, then you can get thermal controllers for them, or voltage mod them without much difference in cooling. If it's your drives, then defrag them, check the read mode on them to make sure it's set to DMA, if it's clicking or stuttering, then the drives may be failing.

If your CD-rom sounds like a jet taking off, then covering the bezel with a stealth mod (5.25 bay cover attached to the front) will help quiet it. Also, don't leave a disk in if it's not needed.

If it's case fans in the front, you might think about removing them. Normally rear fans are enough.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice