1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quora got hacked

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Volstein, Dec 14, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Volstein

Volstein Thread Starter

Hi ppl!

Few days ago the news appeared that personal information of about 100 million of its users was stolen from Quora website. I think there are many people between us that use this service and spend a lot of time on that website.

Quora announced the incident late Monday after its team last Friday discovered that an unidentified malicious third-party managed to gain unauthorized access to one of its systems and stole data on approximately 100 million users—that's almost half of its entire user base.

The only thing I can't understand is why do people need Quora's users information like email and password.. There's nothing really interesting there.

What are your thoughts? Do hackers just have fun or they really collect some info?

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

I don't use Quora so no worries here.

3. Volstein

Volstein Thread Starter

It's not only about Quora. The same thing happened to Reddit not long ago and to many other services.
    It becomes annoying that so many services are not really reliable nowadays.

4. 2twenty2

2twenty2

I don't use Reddit, Facebook, Twitter or any of those types of sites.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Phishing is one reason. If a crook has your email address and password he (or she) can login and send mail to your contacts. Mail that, say, contains a link to a malicious site. Since at least some of your contacts are your relatives, friends or colleagues they may trust you to send them only good links and go ahead and click on them.

A second reason is that many people use the same password for many sites--so for some people having their email password means also having their facebook, twitter, bank account, etc., password.

A third reason is to sell a bunch of that info to other crooks who will make use as reasons one and two above.

The latter. Many years ago a lot of hackers were just looking to have "fun" and to be annoying. Now I think that most are out for the money.

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Information lost to hackers builds data bases that can facilitate identity theft.
    As Terry pointed out, phishing attacks and password collection concerns that lead to ill gotten gains.

7. Volstein

Volstein Thread Starter

Wow.. I didn't think about it from that point of view.. You're right. Even I long ago was using one password for everything. After one hacker attack I changed my position and now I have a base of passwords XD

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Use 2FA (2 Factor Authentication) if it's available, preferably with an app that creates random codes. but yeah most hacks like that are to sell the data to people. But in reality, no service is impenetrable so to say x is bad because of this, or don't use y because of that doesn't necessarily mean it;s not good.

Did you know this site uses 2FA? :D

Fun fact, of all the G-Mail/Google accounts there are, I believe they said 8% use 2FA...

@TerryNet - Shouldn't this be in Random Discussion?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No. It was a serious question about the web and some of us gave serious answers.

10. Volstein

Volstein Thread Starter

I've read that even 2FA doesn't fully protect you from hacking attempts. I don't remember the source but it explained step-by-step how it could be done.
    But I understand that it will give you more safety anyway. Thanks, I think I'll switch it on where possible.

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Hacking attempts can happen to any one even the most secure.
    It is the complete success of the hack that is the REAL issue.

12. Volstein

Volstein Thread Starter

Sometimes it seems to me that there's no need in securing yourself on the web as if hacker will decide to break into your account - he'll do that anyway..

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice