1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

quota on folders..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TheLord, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheLord

TheLord Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm planning on setting an HDD of 160GB to be as the backup server for all users. i'm using windows 2000 Server
    50 users are active. each user will have a folder of 2GB space to save work-related files, this will comes to 100GB reserved and the other 60GB will be available if i needed to increase the space of a user.
    i came to know that there isn't a way of putting a quota on a folder... i right-clicked on a partition > properties.. then Quota tab, at bottom there is Quota Entries.. i clicked that and i found Administrator is added and set to unlimited. so i thought of adding my user id and give him a limit of 1GB for testing only. now, to test the value of this, i should see the partition with only 1GB space for me.., shouldn't it be like this??!??!?

someone advice me plz.. thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure if I understand you correctly. You have set a quota on a partition and the user can still see the entire partition size? I believe that is normal.

3. TheLord

TheLord Thread Starter

when i enabled "Enable quota management", my account was limited to 1GB only. but that's like on this pc only.
    now what i want is, to try and mount this partition on another machine to check if the 1GB quota is still applied on me.

4. TheLord

TheLord Thread Starter

unable to mount the drive if i don't have administrative permissions.. i'm lost , someone guide me plz.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm still unclear what you are trying to accomplish. But quotas are local or domain administrative policies.

Go to Start > Help and Support, and search for "quota". Setting quotas, setting warning levels, and exporting quota limits to other volumes is discussed in detail there.

6. TheLord

TheLord Thread Starter

i have a server with 160GB HDD . i have 50 users .
    i want to give each user a quota of 2GB on the server's HDD.
    i want to mount a folder for each user from the server's HDD, so at the end they will have a folder from the server with a quota of 2GB ..

kapeesh ? hopefully.
    if u don't get it yet, i'll go with u step by step on how to understand what i mean exactly..

thanks for replying.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Though the vsubst command still works in XP and 2k3, assigning a drive letter for mounting the folders as drives would not work due to the lack of available drive letters.

Simply assign user quotas on the accounts and give only the specified folder access permissions.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice