1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

R&S FSH6 interface through Z-37 cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MaryamSaeed, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaryamSaeed

MaryamSaeed Thread Starter

hello, i am currently working on FSH6 SPectrum analyzer, i want to create an interface with PC through FSHVIEW, but the device is not identified, and couldn't connect to the COM port. the operating system I am using is windows XP. I have also read in a rohde &schwarz FAQ, that the dual core doesnt support the older usb cables, so the PL-2303 USB Driver.zip is the new driver for the interface but I am unable to make a connnection even after the installation of this sotware.

Anyone who has done this work, plz give me good advices to move ahead.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I assume you are using the Rev II cable mentioned in the manual? I don't have experience with this particular equipment but have installed plenty of USB to serial adapters that use the PL2303 chip. Since you are having difficulty with this one, the first thing I would check is if the driver is actually installed.

With the cable connected to the PC look in Device Manager under Ports to see if a COM port number is assigned for the cable. Next test the cable using a terminal emulation program such as PuTTY: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html or Tera Term Pro: http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html Assuming the RS-232 connector uses the standard pinout, jumper pins 2 & 3. Then open a terminal connection for the assigned COM port number, and type some characters which should be echoed on the display as long as the jumper is connected. If this works then the cable and driver are probably ok.

Note: Tera Term Pro only works with COM1 thru COM4 ports, unless you patch the "MaxComPort" line in the teraterm.ini file.

3. MaryamSaeed

MaryamSaeed Thread Starter

thanks Frank4d for your help, I have checked in the device manager tab, the cable has been assigned a COM port, but when I am opening it to the FSHview, the spectrum analyzer is not identified at that COM port, means it is not making an interface with the analyzer. The cable is working, thats why identified at the port, but the only problem in the driver (dont know), that doesnt allow communication between the two devices. The PL-2303 check option is also there, that is also not identified.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!