1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

R9 280X blackscreen in games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PenguinActually, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PenguinActually

PenguinActually Thread Starter

I just received my new Gigabyte Windfore R9 280X (GV-R928XOC-3GD rev 2.0) and so far for general stuff like browsing the internet and watching movies its been fine. In some older games like James Bond 007 Nightfire everything runs fine at maxed settings as you would expect from a game released in 2002. The likes of FarCry3 and Dead Pool, runs for about 10 seconds once you try load a game and it black screens and shows a popup on the desktop says something similar to "The AMD display driver has stopped responding and has now recovered". I've made sure GPU drivers are up to date and not the old ones off the CD provided. DirectX, Visual C++, DotNetFramework all installed.

I did see from a YouTube video that it is caused by a lack of voltage to the card itself, I saw that the VS 650 is a low end PSU but it was said to be able to run the R9 280X fine. I have tried play with everything set to performance mode, and with the AMD Over Drive feature both on and off to see if it did anything, It's stock overclocked and I am unsure at this stage on what can be changed to keep everything safe.

Tried a Microsoft fix it program to adjust the timeout for how long the card can be unresponsive and it changed nothing that I noticed.

PC SPECS
    MOBO - ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
    CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition @4.1ghz
    RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x 4GB @ 1866mhz
    PSU - Corsair VS650
    GPU - Gigabyte R9 280X
    HDD - 1x Seagate 1TB
    OS - Windows 7 64Bit

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The VS line of pw supplies is NOT designed for any type of gaming and or overclocking. The corsair VS is for a basic build ONLY ie onboard video, running office, etc; not gaming. Even corsair says it is for a basic build;
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/power-supply-units/vs-series

The very first thing I would do to troubleshoot would be to swap in a quality pw supply. Good ie recommended brands; corsair [AX, HX, or TX only] seasonic, or FSP [only unit with the 5yr warranty] 650W should be fine as long as the unit is of decent quality AND designed for the stress of gaming.

The next thing I notice is that you list a fx8350 @4.1; the 8350 is a 4.0gig processor with a 4.2 turbo speed. Do you have this overclocked at all?

3. PenguinActually

PenguinActually Thread Starter

For some reason, letting the card have a 4%higher power limit has fixed the issue for some reason. I was aware then VS line was for low end use but I got it for almost nothing brand new so what the heck. I will definitely be upgrading in the very near future. I'm not going to stress it until then, I don't want it failing and possibly killing or damaging any other components in the process

As for the 4.1 ghz, I have not touched on and CPU overclocking, when checking it while writing this it reads as 4.00ghz, That may have been a typo from me but I am 99% sure it read as 4.1 at the time. I see that the AMD CCC has some CPU overdrive controls which could have been interfering. But I have no real idea so for now I will mark this as solved

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My guess is that the card was becoming unstable due to a voltage drop. When you upped the card's voltage, That pushes the voltage up high enough that even with the drop under load, it is still usable.

Make sure that when you install a quality pw supply, you reset the voltage back to stock.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!