RA2 Crashes before start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sanchex

This is a strange case.

XP Pro SP2
Celeron 2.6
256MB RAM
128 intergrated
A crappy computer I know, I bought it cheap. Anyway.

I am a frequent formatter. I must have formatted this one 5 times or so, in the space of almost a year. (well, not that frequent) Now, Red Alert 2 always worked before, no problem but two formats ago, it stopped working. After installing, when I try to startup and the splash screen appears, hangs around for the usual amount of time, then disappears. Any other program I have running will stop responding and I have to run Task Manger to end process "Ra2.exe". When I do this, the screen goes black for around a second (at this time the resolution is turned down to 640x480 or some other crazy small one) then windows continues on its normal life.
Fine, I thought, I can live without RA2 until the next format, but its happening again now! With no reason that I can think of.

Remedys I have tried:
Running setup in compatability mode.
Running the exe's in compatability mode
Running windows in VGA mode.

Sorry for making yet another thread about red alert, any help is very much appreciated.

Have you tried the latest patch for Red Alert 2? You can get it here.

If it doesn't work right away, try it with all the exe's in compatiblity mode.

Also, when you format, do you wipe the entire hard drive clean, or just reinstall over your old installation?

Sanchex

Yup, I tried the patch. And I tried all the exes in compatability mode. I wipe my drive.

Quick question... are you running different resolutions between your desktop and the game? (IE are you running your desktop at 1024x768 and the game at 800x600 or vice versa, if you change your desktop/game settings to the same resolution does this continue to happen?). Also are you sure your integrated graphics accellerator will push the 3d graphics of this game?

Sanchex

I wouldn't think that would be the problem, as it was always fine before. I changed nothing as far as I know.

Anyway, I tried 800x600, hurts coming down from 1600x1200 and it still failed to run, however the usual res-switching flicker did not occur.

Thanks.

You may also want to check both the refresh rate of the monitor and what your graphics acc. will/is set to. See if you cant sync up those if they are different, although it sounds odd, sometimes the PC or the card try changing a setting to display the game, that the other just cant do... is this a newer monitor?

Sanchex

Thanks! Setting options in the Intel Graphics display seems to have changed something because now it works in any resolution. The monitor is an old Nokia 445Xpro

Couriant

James
hmm... maybe this is the cause for the majority of problems on this thread. What refresh rate did you use?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online