1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Radeon 9550 driver problem giving me pain

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mindtrick, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mindtrick

mindtrick Thread Starter

I have two systems installed which are XP Home and Ubuntu. I don't have the slightest problem in Ubuntu.

But in XP my screen freezes and monitor turns off when I am playing a video game. Monitors power screen blinks and computer stops responding.

My motherboard is Gigabyte K8 Triton and I've already tried a few versions of the Catalyst driver.

Thanks in advance.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. mindtrick

mindtrick Thread Starter

I've done exactly what you said, but it didn't work.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Run:

dxdiag and see what it says.

Is your power supply up to it? What is its wattage?

Does this happen in all games or just a few?

I have a 9550 and I have to tell you that it is one of the best cards I ever used---no problems whatsoever in Vista.

Where did you get the driver? Laptop or desktop PC?

Any other problems with the PC?

5. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

i've never had problem with the 9550, when playing a game...
    maybe your RAM can't handle the speed of the game...

6. bilboprice

bilboprice

I too have a problem using my Radeon 9550 card with my screen going blank and computer stopping working when playing certain games or browsing the web after a period of time. It happens with pretty much all old games, when I turn the hardware acceleration down to 0 in the control panel it works better but then obviously cannot play most games. I have had this problem for months without being able to sort it :-(

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You may be better off using one of the older drivers, one that came out shortly after your card did. The newer drivers, though meant to be backward-compatible, may work better on the newer cards and not so well on the "legacy" ones.

8. bilboprice

bilboprice

ic, i will try that, I seem to remember using the drivers on the cd that came with the card originally and it not working. I have just seen that there are new display drivers on the ati website for the radeon 9550 from a few days ago. will try them also :) thanx

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

When you do try a different driver, be sure to use the Catalyst uninstaller in Add/Remove to be sure that all the old ones are gone. And then you can double-check that the old drivers are gone with one of these:

Driver Cleaner Professional
    Nasty File Remover

10. bilboprice

bilboprice

just thought I'd say, did all u said with the uninstalling everthing, installed the new drivers and so far so good, hasnt crashed at all yet woohoo. fingers crossed. Thanx for the extreamily fast help and support, i will be sure to recommend this site if others should encounter problems. Thanks again :)

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think we see that more and more lately with drivers too new for all cards, yet available for all cards.
    That's one of the reasons I always recommend the Omega drivers for ATi and Nvidia as they are much more conservative tried and true drivers.
    http://www.omegadrivers.net/

12. bilboprice

bilboprice

heh heh, my mistake, it didnt work. trying it with drivers that came with the graphics card now. seems to be working better. If it doesnt work I'll try the omega drivers:)

13. bilboprice

bilboprice

just thought I'd update my situation. Eventually tried using the omega drivers and they seem to work much better and play some of the games that the normal drivers didn't. They also do not play some games that the other ones did. Mainly though it stayes stable while browsing the web and using office which is hugly better. Will have to make do i guess until i can afford a new graphics card. All the drivers seem to play bafflefield 2 fine so i'll survive. Thanks again.

14. bilboprice

bilboprice

Hey yah, sorry to pester but just went on the website where I brought my radeon 9550 card and it says that it has an AGP interface, however, when I check the properties of the card in the divice manager, it says it is located on PCI bus 1. Could this possibly what is causing problems or does it not matter what slot you put it in?

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

It would not fit in the slot pci slot and Agp slots are different. Now you might want to see what the bios is calling for also.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice