Radeon 9550 on Asrock K7VT4A PRO - voltage problems?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

viskitas

Hi, i used seach but couldn't find related topics, so here goes:

I recently bought a GeCube Radeon 9550 GT AGP card and i have these problems with it:

1. no AGP recognition. in dxdiag it sees only direct draw and direct 3d. i have directX 9.0c.
games like NFS Most wanted and Black & White 2 crash, i can play only older Direct 3d games like warcraft 3...
i have a Asrock K7VT4A PRO (socket A) mainboard, on their web site i saw that the AGP slot supports only (?!) 1.5 V.
mainboard supports 8x AGP, video card support 8x AGP
i'va updated my Bios to v1.5 cause i saw there was an AGP fine tunning option implemented, set up high voltage for AGP slot in Bios, but nothing changed.
reinstalled my system, nothing changed.
somebody told me my Radeon 9550 works on 3.3 V and since the AGP slot only puts out 1.5V - there is the problem. But i have a normal AGP card and it has the 1.5V key, it shoud work fine....or not?
I would like to know if this problem can be fixed in any way, i would like to know if the video card specificaly needs 3.3V, cause i cant really buy a new mainboard now and i would have to go back using the old G4 MX

2. Windows XP service pack 1 sees my card as Radeon 9600 Series. No big deal, but i'm just courios why.

--------------------

AMD Sempron 2200+
Asrock K7VT4A PRO
GeCube Radeon 9550 GT
512 MB PQI Ram
40 Gb OLD Maxtor HDD
-yeah it still works ^^-

crjdriver

I checked and that board supports the card you have.

Some things to check.
Have you installed the chipset drivers for you mb?

Did you fully uninstall your previous card and what type of card was it?

Via's latest drivers are made for sp2, why have you not installed sp2?

One last thing. Asrock boards are designed by asus, however they are mfg by ecs. Asus will not even put their own name on the board. That should tell you about the quality of the mb.

viskitas

crjdriver thx for the post :)
chipset drivers - instaled via hyperion.
fully uninstall of previous card - formated boot drive
cant install sp2, dont have internet at home :(
i know about the quality of the mb, but if i tell u where i live u will understand why i have it...

anyway u are telling me there should be no conflict between the mobo and the video card?
ty

crjdriver

No. There can always be a hardware conflict. You board does support that card however.

Just to make sure you are installing in this order after the format.

1 Install os
2 Update to directx9c this is needed by most new drivers.
3 Install via 4in1 drivers
4 You must install .NET if you want to use the ati display panel called Catalyst Control Center.
5 Now install the ati driver. Are you using a driver from ati's site or are you using a driver that came on a cd with the card?

viskitas

did this:
1.Installed os
2.Installed via hyperion
3.Updated to directx9c
4.Installed drivers from cd tha came with video card.
5.Will try to get the sp2 and install latest ati drivers...

next time i'll do it in the order u mentioned.
and if it still wont work? any other thing that i could do besides hammering my mobo? :)
ty

crjdriver

Not really. Sometimes an individual board just does not like a given video card. I have an asus a8v deluxe here that just does not like to work with an msi 9800pro video card.

If you do use the ati drivers, the latest ones need .net installed before you begin.

crjdriver said:
Not really. Sometimes an individual board just does not like a given video card. I have an asus a8v deluxe here that just does not like to work with an msi 9800pro video card.

If you do use the ati drivers, the latest ones need .net installed before you begin.
CRJ I just ran into this the other day, I had to use the online cat drivers for an old Rad7000 card because the disk version didnt have w2k support and after loading keep getting this crap about .net something or other, so i just dumpped the ati control center, kept the ati drivers and all was fine, ok so where do i get .net what ever it is?

crjdriver

You download it from ms windows update. When you do windows update, choose custom not express. It will be listed under software options.

You can just use the driver and not the CCC if you do not want .net installed. If you go into the ati archive, they will have older drivers that have the ati control panel rather than CCC. You can download one of those also.

crjdriver said:
You download it from ms windows update. When you do windows update, choose custom not express. It will be listed under software options.

You can just use the driver and not the CCC if you do not want .net installed. If you go into the ati archive, they will have older drivers that have the ati control panel rather than CCC. You can download one of those also.
many thanks as ussual;)

.Net is up to v .2 now. I would make sure I got the newer one. V .1 had some security issues and needed patched like 3 times. A lot of downloading and installing. :(

So far, no patches for v .2.

viskitas

hey aren't we going a little off topic here? ^_-
:D anyway, the point is that i would like to know if the problem is primary hardware or software?

Yeah, I guess we are OT a bit. There is no need to worry about adding voltage as the 9550 will work in AGP 4x/8x or at 1.5 volts. Adding voltage to the AGP slot can damage the card since you are keyed for AGP 8x. You would be overvolting by upping the voltage on that key.

Since your motherboard supports AGP 8x I figure you need to go into the bios and set the AGP up for the card. I have no idea where that is going to be located in your bios. I figure you will have to look around. If it doesn't work out after a trip to the bios, post back.

What you will be looking for is AGP 8x mode as well as fast writes. Try AGP 8x enabled, fast writes off to begin with. If that doesn't work, disable AGP 8x and try it in 4x mode. There are many combinations to try so this will take some trial and error.

Good luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online