Radeon 9550 on Asrock K7VT4A PRO - voltage problems?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

viskitas

thx man, i already tried every combination possible, 8X/ 4X/auto, fast write on/off, high/low/auto voltage. i am puzzled, cause if the mobo supports the card, and the card works fine with another mobo different chip, then what the hell is wrong?
i mean, is this hardware related or it is just because i dont have the right software?

viskitas said:
thx man, i already tried every combination possible, 8X/ 4X/auto, fast write on/off, high/low/auto voltage. i am puzzled, cause if the mobo supports the card, and the card works fine with another mobo different chip, then what the hell is wrong?
i mean, is this hardware related or it is just because i dont have the right software?
I think at this point I buy a nice nvidia card

you have a tough one because your old nvidia card works we know its not your agp slot, and because your ati card worked in another pc (you did try that right?) then we know its not your card or drivers, there are some mobs that just dont like certian cards, its rare but it does happen. Card should work with drivers it came with, I never had it happen that those do not atleast work, they may not be optimal but they should at least work.

just a thought but i have to ask, my 9500pro came with an auxilliary power conn on the card, a 4 pin molex type, just like a hdd or optical drive, you dont by any chance have one of those and dont have it connected do you? just checking.

It looks to be a hardware incompatibility problem. :(

I mean you could try wiping your hard disk and reinstall but I think all that would accomplish is waste your time. If you can return the card, I would go that route.

viskitas

dont actually want to change the ati for an nvidia card, i would consider nvidia only if my budget could afford at least a 6800 :).
anyway i'll try to get net frameworks so i can use latest ati drivers, hopefully it will work.
thx for all the help.

viskitas

ok, solved the AGP recognition problem by getting Via hyperion drivers, updating XP and getting .Net frameworks, so that i can use the latest ati drivers.
still got one puzzling problem: how come windows sees the card as Radeon 9600 series? I know 9550 is actualy a 9600 chip with a diferent bios and some limitations, but this isn't normal right? Could i have a faulty chip? Normaly i wouldn't mind, but now the card works good in new games like NFS Most wanted and Fable, but has low performance in older games that i still play, like Quake 2.
I now have the latest Ati drivers...
On GeCube's site there is no Radeon 9550 GT mentioned, in fact if u take a closer look at the box pictures of their 9550 series, almost all say Radeon GT on the box, but the package contains different models. (these sell as Gecube Radeon 9550 GT here)
And another thing, Sisoft Sandra sees the card as 9600 XT !
A friend of mine bought the same type of card, or so we think but we cant be sure since the boxes are the same but the models may not be !? , he didnt had the AGP recognition problems possibly because he has a better ASUS motherboard, but his windows also displays a Radeon 9600 series...
Is there any way that we find out exactly what specific videocard model we have, any software that can be precise?
Mainly, i would like to know if we have reliable videocards, or how can we find out before is too late, so we can take them back and exchange them for lower performance but no headache Nvidia FX5500 cards. :)

Thank you very much !

viskitas

hmm... didnt had time for extended tests, just played like 10 minutes of each game i have.
for example, before the solving the agp problem and getting the latest drivers ati drivers, new games like Most Wanted and Black & White 2 crashed after more or less 5 minutes of play. Now they run ok, but performance in Quake 2 is really low, in 1024x768 i get like 30 fps... no big deal ,but it's not normal and i just dont want to find out when its too late the card is bugged :)
anyway, if it displays 9600, doesn't this mean the ati drivers are overworking the card, since 9550 has some limitations compared to 9600? teoreticaly i could get alot of errors no?
ty.

crjdriver

I think you are expecting too much out a card that is not made for gaming. That card is for general apps like office, photoshop, etc. It is not intended to run modern games on high res. You can probably get by on low res and turning down detail.

As far as overworking the card, no as long as you do not overclock it you should be fine. It is just the bios id that you are seeing. I had an old 9500pro that would id as a 9500 / 9700 all the time. That card is STILL running in a system I built for someone a few years ago.

viskitas

i'm not much of a gamer and i know what to expect from my low performance PC, i just want a card that allows me to run the games i play, even if low detail, but without crashes. just wanted to know if i should worry about the card or no, since still can excange it for an FX5500 for example.
anyway, thx alot crjdriver u are great help for alot of people here :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online