1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Radeon 9800 pro problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LindaBEE, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LindaBEE

LindaBEE Thread Starter

I'm so lost. I hope someone can help me. I've been having weird problems with my video card. It seems part of the problem is directX 9 is not installed according to my ATI software yet when I do dxdiag.exe it says I have 9 installed. So I decide to remove and reinstall the driver. But now when I put the ATI software in, I get "Erorr extracting supported files". At ATI's webiste they reference this exact message on with a different mobo and operating system.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm at my wit's end.

Let me just say, the monitor is intermittently losing signal. I've checked all the cables, actually reverted back to analog cable and used a new power plug.

Thanks
    Linda

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

I might not be able to stay on this thread long today but the first thing I'd look at is whether you can remove the card and plug into an onboard video to test with. Do you have onboard vid that you can enable?

If so and you're able to run without the loss of signal and/or no DirectX 9 problems then it's a safe bet that the card's bad or the AGP slot is bad. Not a guarentee but a good place to start.

3. LindaBEE

LindaBEE Thread Starter

Thanks Griffinspc....I don't have onboard video. I have another video card. I'll switch it out. The only time I get the no signal from the monitor is when I'm trying to install the card in device manager or thru the cd. How come these things happen when you have so much other stuff to do :)

Let me see what I can come up with. I'm going for a walk first, Igotta get away from it. :(
    Thanks
    Linda

4. LindaBEE

LindaBEE Thread Starter

Well, I *thought* I had another video card. I have a friend that builds computers. He'll be home tonight and I'll hook up with him. I think you're right, it's either the video card or the slot. I opened the case up and made sure the card was seated and it's in there snug.

Windows starts to install it but during installation all seems fine, then the monitor says "no signal" and that's when Windows says there was an error installing it. Grrrrrrr

Thanks
    Linda

5. LindaBEE

LindaBEE Thread Starter

Fixed!

For anyone else that may have this problem.....I have no idea what happened here. But I installed the Catalyst software, used the custom setting, installed one component at a time. I started with the safest items, direct X, hydrovision. Everything seemed to go in fine, then I selected the driver, which had been giving me errors everywhere before, but for some reason, it went in. Fluke? Maybe, but I'll take it.

Linda

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

:D The life of a techie. One day crap the next day gravy. Congrats.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice