1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Radeon Graphics Card / Dual Monitors Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GrayeDog, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GrayeDog

GrayeDog Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with extending my desktop onto a secondary monitor correctly. I have an HP Elitebook 8460p with a Radeon HD 6470m graphics driver, and the Catalyst Control Center installed. I've hooked a VGA-VGA cable into a Dell monitor. I can successfully clone my desktop onto the second monitor, but I cannot typically *extend* my desktop to use dual monitors.

I've tried extending it using Function-F4 and selecting extend, going to the desktop->Display, selecting the monitor (it is recognized) and clicking "Extend", and going through the Catalyst Control Center to Arrange Monitors, clicking on the external, and clicking "Extend". In all cases, the screen flickers to black, and when it comes back, my monitors are still in "Clone" mode. In fact, even if I've selected to only use the laptop or only use the external monitor, on clicking "extend", it goes back to "clone". I do see that when I select "extend" in the Catalyst Control Center, it *very briefly* shows me both monitors in its configuration area, but then flickers back to a single monitor (the laptop).

I've reinstalled Catalyst Control Center's latest software/drivers to no avail. I have noticed that if I install the latest version of the driver for the graphics card, it resolves the issue, but never permanently. At some other point in time upon disconnecting the external monitor (when I leave work for example, or go to a meeting) the issue might reoccur. It's not tied to restarting either; sometimes when I restart it the "extend" mode fails again, sometimes it does not. I need to reinstall the graphics card drivers yet another time to bring this mode back.

I know there must be a solution out there beyond "just keep reinstalling the drivers", but I cannot think of any alternate solutions. Can anyone out there help?

Thanks!

Adam

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Someone may have a better answer. But whenever I've seen issues such as this where software won't retain settings, or something works for a short time but continiously breaks in the same way, it's typically a sign of an OS/registry...and a fresh install of the OS will usually resolve the issue.

3. GrayeDog

GrayeDog Thread Starter

If anyone else out there knows any more / has any more suggestions, please let me know. That said, Oddba11, do you know if a *repair* install will work, or do I need to do a full reinstall? I know a reinstall comes with a lot more consequences than a repair install, so I'm trying to avoid that.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I've not tried it. It can't hurt to try it and see, but a Repair install simply checks all of the core files to ensure they are not corrupt (which is likely not the case in this issue), so nothing will change. But it can't hurt to try.

You could also try manually installing the latest service pack, then updating/reinstalling all of the system drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice