1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Radeon HD 4350 is running SLOW compared to old Geforce MX4000

Discussion in 'Games' started by mayhem_117, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mayhem_117

mayhem_117 Thread Starter

Hi, first post here and I was wondering if someone can help me out with this problem I have. The computer I use is a Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows 7 with just regular PCI slots. Last week I bought an ATI Radeon HD 4350 to replace my old NVidia Geforce MX4000 graphics card and I noticed a huge drop in performance with basic tasks such as surfing the web and watching videos on youtube. The Geforce is an OLD card that only does DirectX 7 but while using it I never felt like it had any problems watching videos or playing older games. But on the Radeon it struggled to play Plants Vs Zombies. I thought to myself, "No wonder people think these PCI cards suck! MY geforce mx4000 is way faster than this!"

After updating the drivers, catalyst controls, and tweaking the settings of the card and on VLC media player I was able to get the card to play 720P videos smoothly. Even stranger, I loaded up Doom 3 and Silent Hill 3 and I was able to play these games flawlessly at high settings (Silent Hill had screen tearing though). With youtube videos I found that ATI cards have problems with adobe flash and they need to have hardware acceleration disabled. Which is weird because supposedly AMD states that watching youtube on an ATI card is an amazing experience and that these cards supposedly utilize hardware acceleration. If I do have hardware acceleration enabled the screen shows up green and it hangs my browser. I'm just curious why games run very smoothly and look great but the card struggles to use basic web functionality and play videos. I also feel uncomfortable turning off all the bells and whistles such as hardware acceleration and dropping the quality down on VLC media player so that it can play HD videos smoothly. On my old Geforce4 MX4000 I never had to do any of these tweaks and it was able to play 720p videos just fine.

When I had bought this card I wasn't too sure about the DDR/DDR2 type memory for it. People said that it did not matter and would work as long as it fit into the PCI slot. So I ultimately went with the DDR2 type memory. But now I think my computer was made (2003) sometime before DDR2 or any of these other memory types were released. My computer also only accepts DDR RAM. So I'm wondering if my computer is bottlenecking any of speed on this card. I also notice in the AMD overdrive section in catalyst as well as GPU-Z that the speed of the card drops, it'll say operating at 640 MHz then it'll drop to 300MHz.

What do people think I should do? Should I return this card to Newegg and go with the highest spec'd card I can find with DDR type memory (Was thinking of a Geforce 6200)? People online have said that they have experienced a drop in performance like I have when going with another memory type other than DDR while others say that it does not matter.

Also should this card be running at 60 degrees celsius?

2. Masta Squidge

Masta Squidge

There is no other type of gpu memory that ISNT ddr. At least anything made in the last 10 years.

DDR stands for "Double Data Rate". There is no big difference between non-ddr and ddr memory except the DDR performs better.

If your system only supports DDR ram, that has nothing to do with the type of video memory it can function with either. A DDR2 video card will function properly as long as you have it in the right slot... Either it will go in and work, or wont install period.

As for your old card, which model is it? There is no "MX4000". That is a chipset series, you will have a 460, 440, or 420. Or some variation of one of them.

Regarding your purchase of the 4350, it is only marginally higher performing than your MX series card assuming its a 460.

For like 200 hundred dollars (maybe less), and scavenging your old parts, you can build a much newer, better performing system. Some of today's integrated graphics chips are better performing than both of those cards.

A GMA x4500 integrated graphics chipset is more powerful than both your cards and supports DX10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138183
    Combined with a 51 dollar intel dual core and maybe 2 GB of memory at 32 dollars and you have essentially upgraded and doubled your performance overall.

Picking up an older PCI based video card wont net you very much performance increases. A 6200 is actually lower performing than an MX 460.

3. mayhem_117

Thanks. I was just thinking that if all my system could take was DDR ram and the video card was operating on DDR2 type memory then perhaps the systems DDR memory was slowing it down since DDR can't operate on DDR2 levels.

As for my GPU type I was under the assumption that Geforce4 MX 4000 was the name of the card that's what it says under GPU-Z (specs image attached). Maybe you can match up the specs with the actual model number if not, here's the same exact MX4000 card I own on newegg (Not JATON though) "http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139167&cm_re=mx4000-_-14-139-167-_-Product"

I ended up getting an RMA on the HD4350 card so I'll be sending it back in a few days. I also found out that ATI doesn't support video acceleration over basic PCI so I believe that's why it was giving me horrible results.
    I wasn't sure what card I could buy that would give me the better results and still allow me to play older games and watch HD videos over but I was considering the Geforce 6200, 8400 GS, or 9400 GT.

Edit (Forgot to include this): Replacing my motherboard is looking like the better option for me, thanks for the link I'll look into this more. Would I need a Micro ATX motherboard?

Attached Files:

4. Masta Squidge

Masta Squidge

I guess I might stand corrected on the model of the card. Though I cannot seem to find an MX4000 listed anywhere on nvidias site.

If you can afford it I reccomend upgrading your CPU, motherboard, and processor. If you buy the motherboard I linked, it has a fairly robust onboard graphics chipset. You probably wont need a GPU if you were getting by with your current nvidia card to begin with.

Plus you will have the option of a dual core cpu. There is no reason to NOT get a dual core when the single cores are only 6-7 dollars less anyways.

5. mayhem_117

Update: Well after spending some time doing google searches on my Radeon HD 4350 I found a group of people who had the same problem I had with getting the hardware acceleration thing to work over PCI. The problem was that the card was telling my computer to read it as a PCI express x 1 card which doesn't support DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration). They found a registry tweak that allows you to change the card to read it as a PCI Express 2.0 x 16 which does support DXVA. After doing this I was able to enable hardware acceleration on everything again. Now my computer is able to play 1080p videos smoothly both on my computer as well as on the web which is a huge step up from what it was before.

I wouldn't mind replacing the processor and motherboard but I think that will push me over my budget even after I send back this card. Plus my parents wanted me to send them this computer if I ever bought a new one, so I would then have to buy a new case, fans and power supply as well. I was also planning on saving up and eventually building a really nice computer.

Right now I think I'll hold on to the Radeon HD 4350 seeing as I finally got it to work and it currently plays all my stuff good now. Thanks for replying and for the motherboard suggestions

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!