Radeon HD 4870 runs hot and creats BSOD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chewypapasmurf

On my Windows 7 OS I get BSOD at random times. This all started after I got Diablo 3 installed and updated my ati drivers. I don't know if this relevant but either way I have been trying different driver versions the past couple of weeks because I thought this was a driver issue. Then I did a memory test to see if that was the issue, sadly it was not. I decided then to wipe out Windows 7 completely and start fresh. My computer was fine for a while but then I got the same problems coming back. Just recently I installed Speed Fan and saw that my GPU idles at 82c. Lately I get crazy flickering, red dots, and colored blocks all across my screen then a while later the computer will either stop working entirely or just BSOD. After research I see that some people have fan control issues with this card but I have used it for 3-4 years now and this is the first problem I have had.

Currently I am using Windows 8 on the very same computer and I have yet to have any problem (I have not installed any drivers on Windows 8).

I attached the dxdiag and dumps. I am so glad that a forum such as this exists thank you all in advance and I hope someone has some great idea.

Attachments

Have you tried openining the side of your computer? I have a radeon 6990 and I don't have a choice on that part. just open one side. If that doesn't work turn the fan up a bit with msi afterburner.

Tanis

Shane
82C idle temp is way too high, especially for a HD4800 (according to your DXDiag) it shouldn't be that hot under load, I would say you have a significant cooling issue going on, thats my first thought anyway.

Have you cleaned out any dust in the case? Pay particular attention to heatsinks etc.

What is your fan setup in the case? How many, where are they located and do they blow air in or out of the case?

What is the exact make, model and wattage of the PSU and how old is it?

Download and install HWMonitor. Run it and take a screenshot of it with you system sat idle at the desktop. Then, leaving HWMonitor running, run a game for a few minutes, then exit the game and screenshot HWMonitor again. Post the two pictures in a reply here.

Chewypapasmurf

Thank you for the reply,

My case has not caused me issues for a good 3 years so I am sure there is plenty of ventilation. It is plenty clean and the heat issue resides in the GPU. I cleaned up all remnants of AMD display drivers and just installed the latest drivers but Unfortunately I am still getting BSOD and this time I BSOD during a video game. Upon restart the CMOS had an error so CMOS got reset to defualt. Then I had an error with missing boot MGR so I popped in my Hiren's disk and fixed that. Know I am paying attention to Catalyst Control Center. ATI is keeping the temp at around 80c (this is idle). I am guessing that when I start playing a game the card overheats because I hear that a little after 90c the card shuts off. Somehow I feel that ATI is not properly controlling the fan speed because it is only at 26% and I hardly hear it rise while gaming.

I would like to hear someone else's opinion on this. After all, these are just my guesses.

Fan stuck at 26%? Install MSI afterburner and turn your fan to 100% when gaming. or whatever percent you would like.

Chewypapasmurf

I took out the video card. Opened it up, cleaned it and applied new thermal paste. Unfortunately there is little change at the moment I am idling at 80c with 23%.

Turbow5: The fan is not stuck at 26%. ATI adjusts the fan speed but not dramatically. I was getting close to 90c on the GPU while gaming and ATI would not adjust the fan to cool it. It would remain in the 20% - 30% area. I know I can adjust the fan manually but I should not have to. I want the card to know that it needs to raise the speed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online