1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Radeon HD 5450 not working with motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rzrpack, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rzrpack

rzrpack Thread Starter

My friend has an HP Media Center PC m7160n. His old video card wasn't cutting it, so he was going to upgrade it to a Radeon x1650 Pro PCIe. Didn't work. He thought it was the refurbed card, so then he bought a Radeon HD 5450 PCIe, and a new power supply, this one. This is the motherboard he has on his HP.

The card uses a PCIe x16 slot, and is PCIe 2.1. I read that PCIe slots are backwards compatible so the card should work on a motherboard that has 1.0 and a x16 slot (which this one does). Correct?

We know it's not the PSU obviously cause his original card still works with that PSU and in this motherboard, and because the PSU fits the minimum power requirements for the 5450 (it is 460w and has 36a available on the 12v rails, 30a required).

When he turns on the PC, the monitor says "monitor going to sleep", obviously not picking up any video signal. As I said, it works with his old Radeon x700 (I think that's what it is) card.

We're just out of ideas, no idea why this won't work. Any help would be appreciated.

2. rickmamo

rickmamo

Just some quick thoughts:
    verify the voltage settings in bios match the card and that no turbo mode or option is set, also make sure no old never been used onboard video got re-enabled durring a defaults load or bad boot and tweak any slot settings it could have that indicate support for 2.0 etc..

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice