1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

radeon video card driver problem!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 8nout, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Please, puleeaasse, someone help me! Trying to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 8000 video card from ATI M4 32MB to an ATI 7500 64MB card. Uninstalled old drivers, pulled card, installed new card, couldn't get new drivers to load, pulled new card, installed old card, now can't install ANY drivers! I think I'm running on safe mode video drivers or whatever the minimum installed is (640x480, 16 bit color). Device manager says I have no VGA drivers installed. I have no display adapter listing in device manager. My video card is not recognized even with add new hardware. I read in another forum that win2000 pro does not have VGA drivers included. Is anyone running an ATI video card with win2000 pro? Help, I just want my old display back!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you downloaded and installed the correct Windows 2000 drivers from ATI's website? Without these you won't get anything over 640 x 480 and 16 colors.

These should work for the 7500:
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/...c&prod=products2kdriver&submit.x=4&submit.y=3

The DELL website would have the drivers for the old card under your system downloads.

Oh, wait this is a laptop isn't it? If so ignore everything above this.

You should have recieved a driver CD with the new card - you must run the setup on this CD to install the new drivers.

http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/laptops/index.html

3. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, I finally got my old card to work. I found my Dell driver CD and installed the video drivers. What a mess I made. In my search of forums I found that 2Kpro is not a good OS for gaming. In my frustration I tried to uninstall 2K, never could, tried to reformat, never could do that either, but now I have TWO 2K's installed, like a double boot I guess because I have to make a choice of which 2k to start. Aaagghhh! Laptop seems to working OK now and frustration factor very high so I think I'll just put the new video card on the shelf and leave things alone for now. Thanks for the advice, I think that's pretty much what I did, somehow.:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice