Radeon9550 and win98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

harry schwar

Is there a radeon 9550 (diamond stealth) driver out there that will work for win98?
I have dual-boot xp-98 setup and upgraded the video card to run high end applications on xp but lost win98 (specifically 256 color ability and other settings options in win98). I can still run 16bit applications but the graphics are poor.

harry schwar

They say it just doen't support win98 period. Oh well guess I picked the wrong card.
Thanks for your help.
Just had a thought. Can a second card be used, a PCI, and the cable moved to that board when 98 is used? Will this effect the xp setup?

etaf

Wayne
sorry I dont know - hopefully a knowledgeable poster will reply

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Sorry, but why won't the 9550 work with Windows 98? ATI has a windows 98 driver for it. It's this driver here: http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/...tsME98driver&submit.x=7&submit.y=6&submit=GO! which I think is already posted above. It's the latest 4.11 version(newer then 4.3 and offers better performance). If you read the release notes it says it supports the 9500 series of cards and Windows 98 and 98SE.

If you are worried about the Cetification then don't. Only Microsoft cares about certification, the driver will work fine. And if Diamond doesn't offer a driver thats because they do not value customer support.

Yeah, ther certification thingy from MS is a complete joke...

When you BUY new hardware and it comes with postcards and/or quick guides that that "IGNORE THE CERTIFICATION WARNING!".

harry schwar

Thanks, I went back and tried them all again. Both DSL and low versions. I tried to follow install instructions to the letter. I tried installing from the downloaded file and the systems add-hardware. Most (including catalyst) just didn't find the hardware, or listed it as a Fury Rage pro or 128 card. Some shut down the boot sequence and I had to reinstall basic display drivers. In any case, none offered the ability to change the win98 srttings beyond 16bit or low resolution. I put my old system back together for now and at least I'm up and running (g-force4 card) - but cramped since theres 2 systems on the desk.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You must have the card listed in Device Manager as a Standard VGA Adaptor. If there is any error or the drivers are half installed then the driver won't install. The Fury/128 cards are completely different from the Radeon series - the driver won't work.

What you need to do is to uninstall all the ATI/NVidia drivers. If you have installations then you'll have problems installing the driver. First go to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the Control Panel and uninstall any and all ATI and NVidia drivers and software. Reboot only after uninstalling all the drivers.

Then you want to boot into Safe Mode to remove any other display adaptors listed in Device Manager. To get into Safe Mode you need to hold down the CTRL key on the keyboard before the Windows splash screen comes up or press F8 as soon as WIndows starts to load.

Now when you reboot Windows should detect the video card and look for drivers. Just click NEXT all the way through. DO NOT browse to try to find the correct driver; the card must be install as a Standard VGA Adaptor by Windows. Click NEXT until you get to the end then click Finish and reboot as required.

After the reboot run the ATI driver setup program to install the driver and reboot when prompted.

Download NFR and DriverCleaner from the link below to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers, also download the two ATI uninstallers from the other link. This will remove all unneccessary drivers.

NFR and DriverCleaner: http://www.etplanet.com/download/ati_nvidia.shtm
ATI removers: http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

This is the ATI driver you need: http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/...tsME98driver&submit.x=7&submit.y=6&submit=GO!

Or try the modded performance driver from this site:
www.omegacorner.net

harry schwar

Spent the day trying this again. Followed given directions - n/g. Even tried loading each radeon driver (presaved on cd from the given site) after reformat and fresh 98 install, only 98, (with no component drivers installed -just what's on the 98 cd). Same thing. "unable to find components on current hardware or software configuration. make sure you have the required hardware or software." Ver 4.11 had additional error first "INF video driver not found".
Currently I repartioned the drive and have win98 (still only 16bit) on one and winxp on another (installed diamond stealth s120 driver). I'll call support again next year to ask again. If not, 98 is comming out and the system gets converted to NTFS.
Thanks for your help,
have a merry Christmas and happy holiday and New Year.

Your issue does not sound like software, but defective hardware. If clean install still gives you errors (And you SHOULD install MOBO drivers first, before expanded hardware drivers). There is nothing special about the 9550, other than a low-end product.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online