1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

radiation from cd stuff?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starchild, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I've been told there are no dumb questions, but this might be the first.

In the process of installing a cd burner (another topic)I came across in the instructions many warnings about "do not remove the case" because of danger of radiation.

Also about possible danger to eyes, which I have seen before, on CD players.

But, never the idea of radiation danger from removing the case.

As I wrote on here before (and again, another topic)I accidentally fried a cd burner a few months ago, by using the wrong cord.

someone at the time said I could take the case apart and look at it and see if anything LOOKED "fried" like a wire or resister, that might be replaceable.

I didn't do it at the time, but did a few weeks ago, when I was trying to decide what to do with it (don't know if I should throw it in the trash- which goes to a dump and maybe landfill? With laser and whatever in it?)

I took the case apart and looked at it and some of the white "plastic" things (squares) were melted. Like white, sticky marshmallow. I put the case back on, and put it back in a box.

I didn't see anything on it about not taking the case of it, because of possible radiation danger.

This warning is with the instructions of my new cd player.

Silly question... what are the facts about this? Was it dangerous to take the case apart, even though someone suggested I do it and nobody said "don't it's dangerous!" and it didn't say this on the case (only about the laser beam and eyes, and it was totally DEAD and not plugged in anyway).

And, how would I know if I had gotten "radiation" or whatever that is dangerous from taking the case apart?

I've heard that if your microwave is leaking and you get your skin near it, it gets red and sore like a sunburn.

But, how do you know if your cd is leaking radiation, or whatever from the laser?

I put this in google and couldn't find anything directly about it.

~ Carrie

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Don't lose any sleep worrying about radiation from any common PC components. :) I'm sure the "radiation" they refer to is indeed the laser emissions, but without power on the CD, that isn't all that dangerous. :D:D:D

3. n2gun

n2gun

Carrie
    The danger is the laser. It puts out a strong light beam that could injury a persons eyes. It actually burns into a cd to give you some idea of how strong it is. I have never heard of any parts with radiation in one.

4. carltasha

carltasha

light is radiation . kinda silly way to say it though .

5. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Now we all know...

And LASER stands for something about "light " doesn't it?

Light Activated..... something?

I don't plan on taking any apart again anyway, with or without them being plugged in and on (LOL)

I guess the warnings are for "liability". NObody can sue them for getting radiation poisoning.

~ Carrie

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice