1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raedon 9700 Pro Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mavrick88, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mavrick88

Mavrick88 Thread Starter

Is anyone having problems with the Raedon 9700 Pro card using the new Cat. 3.0 driver set? I am running on Windows XP and using the A7VX8 motherboard. I have updated all drivers, from 4in1 to BIOS to ATI. For a long time everything worked fine. Then one day I go to play UT2003 and WHAM. Computer doesn't even load the intro screen, it just locks up and restarts. I tried running 3D Mark 2002, WHAM restart. One day it's all working fine, then the next WHAM. ATI has RMAed my card 4 times. 3 were really deffective and the 4th was tested before it got to me. I can't think of anything else to do. I saw something about CPU speed but XP 2200+ should be ok, I mean it worked fine for a while. Please help out. Thanks!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you opened the case and checked that the video card fan is working? I would try and reseat the card after making sure the cooling fan is still working.
    Do you have anything overclocked?
    Since you have had more than one problem with the video card, have you checked that your ps is up to powering everything in your case? A good quality ps seems to cure all types of problems.
    As to the 3.0 drivers I am using them with a 9500 pro with no problems whatsoever, running dual boot win2k and xp pro; unable to make either os crash.

3. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

4. Mavrick88

Mavrick88 Thread Starter

Yes, I have checked the fan and everything is running ok. I have a 500W power supply and have never had a problem before. Like I said just all of a sudden one day, it stopped working. My PC is overclocked but only by a hair. It was overclocked and working great for months though. I don't know what happened.

5. Mavrick88

Mavrick88 Thread Starter

Thanks Still, I will check that out. No I didn't remove all drivers and stuff. Though when the problem first started, I did format my main drive, reinstall Windows XP and then the drivers, it still did the same thing. I'll try reinstalling the drivers again though. Thanks!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you reformatted and did a clean install, I would doubt that old drivers or ati control panel would cause you problems.
    Check voltages in your bios. Let it run for a while and see if they are fluctuating. What brand of ps do you have?
    Have you installed any other new drivers like for a sound card?

7. Mavrick88

Mavrick88 Thread Starter

Thanks all for the help! Still's idea worked. Somehow eventhough I reinstalled Win XP, Win XP was still loading old ATI drivers. So I was installing on top of them with out removing them first. What I did was, uninstall, restart, uninstall the next ones, restart, ect. until all ATI drivers were completly gone! I restarted again even after all ATI drivers were gone, just to be sure and then installed the newest ATI drivers. Everything works great now! You guys are so helpful thanks so much!!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!