1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid 0 2x ssd Sabertooth 990fx Server 2008 install (no drives found)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unolax, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unolax

unolax Thread Starter

I just built a new computer
    AMD FX 3.1 8core
    Asus Sabertooth 990fx
    16gb Corsair DDR31600
    2 WD Caviar Black 1tb
    2 OCZ Vertex 2 60gb - Raid 0
    EVGA GTX 580
    Thermaltake 1200w modular PSU
    Antek 300 Black

I put all this together and plugged my 2 SSDs into SATA 1 and 2 and left the 2 tb drives unconnected for the moment. I loaded up windows 7 ultimate X64 on a flashdrive and went into the bios. Set drives to RAID and driver to legacy, (I dont really understand how to set up the other UEFI raid controller). On boot I pressed ctrl-f and set up raid 0, 64 bit stream and fast. Set my 2 drives to yes and named it SSD120 then cleaned the MBR with ctrl-y, and let it use the max size.
    I booted into windows 7 install and set up the drivers, selected my 120gb drive and away it went. 5 minutes later everything was copied over and 6 minutes after that I was booting into Windows 7.
    I decided too late I wanted to run server 2008 and use hyper V to set up a few other machines and a domain in my home. So not really caring I just nuked my computer right away. I swapped the windows 7 flash drive for my server 2008 flash drive. Formatted the SSDs and recreated the raid. Again it states they are functional and the bios recognizes them. When I boot into the server 2008 install and load the windows 7 raid drivers I cannot see any drives whatsoever. Even if I go back to the windows 7 install. Do I need to pull the drives out and reformat them with a sata-usb cord or what? I am at the end of where I can troubleshoot this one. Any help would be much appreciated and if the person is in utah I'll buy them a drink too!
    Thanks in advance guys!

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Make sure the raid drivers are on the USB drives, most of the time even in the new operating systems, RAID still requires driver disks to be able to install on them.

3. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Why on earth would you stripe those SSDs? Your current problems are a foretaste of things to come.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice