1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid 0 and 1 on 2 disks is it possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kondor5, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kondor5

Kondor5 Thread Starter

I have a motherboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe, when I asked the RAID array on the two disks of 750 GB, RAID in the menu on the question of what will be my field put Raid a that my field Raida is a large 500 GB and that is RAID 0, so I got Volume 0, I continued and made Volume 1, which took the rest of the disc space, but I gave him that this is Volume1 RAID1. Now it is not clear whether it is on only 2 disks can have RAID 0 and 1. Also I wonder if it is possible to have RAID 0 and 1 if there is some kind of fault on the disc whether Volume1 who was supposed to be RAID1 behave like any normal RAID1 that it would be to save the data from that part which is RAID1 or the data will become unavailable As with any RAID0 arrays. I hope I was clear:).

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, not clear at all.
    You can have raid0 or raid1, or raid01 however you are not going to have two different raid arrays with just two physical disks. You could make something like what you want using software raid or dynamic disks however that is less than useless.

Next what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to have a backup plan? Raid of any type is NOT a backup plan. Some forms of raid ie 1,5,01 have hardware redundancy ONLY. They do nothing for a virus, malware, corrupted driver install, etc, etc; every error is mirrored. Raid0 does increase disk speed somewhat however the added complexity and risk of data loss is not worth the small increase in disk read/writes.

IMO raid is NOT for the home user; it is for servers that need hard disk redundancy and hot swap capability. Next using onboard raid is useless. A quality raid controller will cost more than a high end motherboard. There is a reason for this; performance and reliability.

I always tell people that if they really really must have raid, then buy a real raid card.

3. Kondor5

Kondor5 Thread Starter

I know that the ordinary RAID motherboards are not sufficiently reliable, but I did not know what the RAID I get on this. I was confused by the issue in the menu to which I came by pressing Ctrl + I when I was asked what size will be Volume 0 type RAID 0 , and when I have limit it to 500 GB and then made Volume 1 with the rest of size with type RAID 1. Properties of the Volume 0 Volume 1 and we simply were not clear

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You still have not posted what it is you are trying to accomplish ie backup or what.

Next ctrl I sounds like an intel onboard raid controller. The intel onboard is about the best of the onboard controllers however they are still far behind a real raid card for reliability and performance.

5. D-Berd

D-Berd

I think what the op is saying is that he thinks he created raid 0 and raid 1 on the same discs. He want's to know if it's possible to have raid 0 and 1 on two discs or is it a flaw in the discs....The only way I know of making 0 and 1 on raid is to use a minimum of three physical discs.

6. Kondor5

Kondor5 Thread Starter

You got the point of my question. I dont not understand what I got of this diferent options. It is a Intel Martix controler on board.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I think you might be confusing the size of the cluster ie you can specify what cluster size you want.

You still have not answered what it is you are trying to accomplish with raid.

8. Kondor5

Kondor5 Thread Starter

I did not confuze with the size of cluster, the point is what I got with this. Is it posible to retrive easy data from this kind of RAID 1 form.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you can access the raid array from whatever os you are using then yes simply copy whatever you want. If you cannot access the array, it might still be done however it becomes more complex and costly.

10. Kondor5

Kondor5 Thread Starter

yes, but are those ordinary really RAID 1 and RAID 0 ?? I wanted to know something about what I have done.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice