Raid 0. Best strip size for performance??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maxibhoy

Yeah the questions basically in the title. What is the best strip size for performance/speed? does it depend also on drives speed/make, motherboards/raid controllers. I set up my raid 0 config with a 64kb strip size but have seen recently it said somewhere that largest strip size is best for performance but i have also seen conflicting information and i can't seem to get a diffinitive answer on the matter. Thanks a lot. Any input welcomed. Max.

It all depends on your access patterns. Lots of random accesses -> smaller stripes. Lots of big multimedia files -> larger stripes. 16-32K are good general purpose stripe sizes.

maxibhoy

So what about for gaming then? Would that be better with a large strip size? Also i'm desperatley trying to get a higher pcmark05 score at present, any ideas on what would be best size for this? Thanks Max.

I really doubt that disk access on a RAID 0 will give you any great boost in gaming performance. Games are mostly GPU, CPU and memory intensive.

maxibhoy

I really doubt that disk access on a RAID 0 will give you any great boost in gaming performance. Games are mostly GPU, CPU and memory intensive
No i knew that but i just want to have it set on the potentially best performing strip size. Also as i'm desperatley trying to get over a certain score in pcmark 05, ANYTHING which helps at all is needed. The difference i had when i moved my raid 0 config from the ez back up raid controller to the ich7r controller was great. (about 500 pcmarks) so i have a feeling there may be a slight improvement if i can find the best strip size for this in particular. I could probably just rule out the gaming and just concentate on pcmark then as i knew anyway there wouldn't be much gain here and wasn't too bothered as there are no problems gaming anyway. Thanks for the input Max.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online