1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid 0. Best strip size for performance??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maxibhoy, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

Yeah the questions basically in the title. What is the best strip size for performance/speed? does it depend also on drives speed/make, motherboards/raid controllers. I set up my raid 0 config with a 64kb strip size but have seen recently it said somewhere that largest strip size is best for performance but i have also seen conflicting information and i can't seem to get a diffinitive answer on the matter. Thanks a lot. Any input welcomed. Max.

2. smbd

smbd

It all depends on your access patterns. Lots of random accesses -> smaller stripes. Lots of big multimedia files -> larger stripes. 16-32K are good general purpose stripe sizes.

3. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

So what about for gaming then? Would that be better with a large strip size? Also i'm desperatley trying to get a higher pcmark05 score at present, any ideas on what would be best size for this? Thanks Max.

4. Rockn

Rockn

I really doubt that disk access on a RAID 0 will give you any great boost in gaming performance. Games are mostly GPU, CPU and memory intensive.

5. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

No i knew that but i just want to have it set on the potentially best performing strip size. Also as i'm desperatley trying to get over a certain score in pcmark 05, ANYTHING which helps at all is needed. The difference i had when i moved my raid 0 config from the ez back up raid controller to the ich7r controller was great. (about 500 pcmarks) so i have a feeling there may be a slight improvement if i can find the best strip size for this in particular. I could probably just rule out the gaming and just concentate on pcmark then as i knew anyway there wouldn't be much gain here and wasn't too bothered as there are no problems gaming anyway. Thanks for the input Max.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice