1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid 0, Boot prob, "A disk read error occurred" press ctrl alt del to restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by food7, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. food7

food7 Thread Starter

Wow,

So I did some work on this machine not too long ago. It had basically lost one hard drive in a raid 0 setup during a power surge, and this poor fellow lost all his data. I tried to talk him into upgrading to a third drive for future situations like this, but now not even two weeks later, when he boots, we get to a screen that says

a disk read error occurred
    press ctrl alt del to restart

A browse through these wonderful forums is telling me that his hard drive, or at least the partition on 1 of the drives is toast, which would be disastrous at this point. So I am truly hoping for another solution. Yes the machine is running Raid 0. When I boot the machine I get to the intel boot agent screen with the option to enter the setup menu (this is not the bios, just a boot agent something or other where you can tell the machine to boot according to the bios ect) Following that, the screen goes blank, the super micro graphic screen comes up just briefly and then bam, this good old message appears, so there does not even appear to be a way to get into the bios.

I am desreate for advice... If I must resinstall windows, then so be it, but we are talking thousands of dollars worth of data, that would be lost. Please please help!

2. musiclover

musiclover

Try hitting del continuously when booting to see if you can get into the bios, then see what drives in the raid array are recognized.

3. food7

food7 Thread Starter

Already got there, thanks though. Both drives are recognized in the bios. I am taking them out to plug into a new computer, to see if they are accessable form inside an os on another hard drive. I am trying to determine whether or not one of the drives is bad. Let you know when I know.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you connect a drive from a raid0 array to another computer, you will see the drive in disk management, however no data will be available.

What I would do at this point. Make either a parallel install of windows to copy the data you need or try a repair install of the os. If you are able to copy the data you want, then I would do a clean install of the os after recreating the raid array.

I tell people this ALL the time; "Data you do not back up is data you do not care about" No one can run raid0 without a good backup plan.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/415881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice