1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

raid 0 - c: image advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saac_dogg, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

ive read most of the sticky raid thread and it will help me heaps. But a i have a more specific question.

I want to create a RAID 0 but the one of the HDD to be used IS the current C:

I have 2x 320gb sata drive. 1 with os and 1 with media.

The media is backed up on another drive so that doesnt matter, but the OS HDD is not. I dont want to have to re-install all my software and everything as i have vista and programs setup perfectly.

So im not sure where to go from here. I have bought a new drive for my media. And the 2x 320 will be in a raid0 with os.

I need to create a image of OS HDD and put it on the new HDD then Create the raid 0 then apply the image to the raid......mmmmm this is the step im worried about. I dont want to start this and not be able to get it to work.
    thx

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I don't recommend raid 0 at all but the raid drivers will just make it look like one drive to the image restoring program. I would recommend using a very capable image program such as Acronis True Image that will have no problem restoring the OS to what looks like a much larger drive, but that could just be a little bias on my part as any decent full imaging program may work fine.

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/ claims compatibility with all raid methods in its features list.

3. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

i asked a few frineds and got hold of powerquest drive image but they have never used it b4.

will setup as soon as i have time.

how do u load the image without and OS installed?

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Is this the latest version of Powerquest? Things change so much as far as configurations and capacities go that the latest versions of programs need to be used if the hardware is late model. Probably should be sure it supports the raid configuration you desire too.

As far as how, I'm not sure of Powerquest specifically but the two general ways its done is that if the image is on DVDs, the first DVD is also bootable and contains everything needed to restore, or you make a bootable rescue media CD or DVD that can be used to restore the image either from another hard drive or from DVDs or even over a network if its capable of doing such.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have done this a few times and yes it can be done however there is a specific order in which to accomplish this task. Note if you use an onboard controller ie motherboard type controller, it can still be done however it is more complex. In any case, I always recommend a real raid card NOT an onboard type controller.

To do this;
    1 Install your raid card and install the drivers for your card. Reboot if prompted.
    2 Once the card is installed and shows that it is working in device mgr, make an image of the system drive with acronis true image.
    3 Shutdown and install your new drive.
    4 Power ON and enter the raid [not system] bios
    5 Choose the drives you want in the array and create the array
    6 Reboot with your acronis boot CD in the CD drive [CD set as first boot device]
    7 Restore the image to the array. Note very important DO NOT attempt to partition and or format the array before restoring the image.
    8 Once the restore is complete, remove the acronis CD and reboot the system

You now have your current install on a raid0 array.

Note raid of any type is NOT a backup plan. You must have a third drive that is not part of the array to backup anything important.

6. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

thats doesnt sound too hard..... i do have an onboard raid controller.

just had a look how to do it with onboard and it say u need a floppy drive! i dont have a floggy drive, will it work from a cd?

7. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need either a floppy OR you can make a custom install CD with the raid drivers integrated. Note this is for xp or win2k; with vista you can load raid drivers from a CD, flash drive or floppy. You do have one problem however; the onboard controller. Since you do not want to clean install, you are probably going to need the much more expensive version of acronis true image along with universal restore.

Here is the problem. You have an onboard type controller and it is most likely set to standard ide or ahci mode. When you change the mode of the controller to enable raid, windows very often will not boot instead giving a bsod and a msg about hardware failure.

With a real raid card, you do not have this problem. You simply install the card and drivers into your current install. Once the drivers are loaded, you image the system and then restore it to the raid drives that are now on your raid card.

This is one of the many reasons I always recommend a quality raid card like promise or highpoint.

I checked the acronis site and the workstation version of true image is $79 plus you would need universal restore at another $30 or so. It gets pretty expensive just to be able to not clean install.

For the cost of the software plus a few more dollars, you can buy a quality raid card and [IMO] be better off.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item you may or may not have to reactivate vista. Just the controller change should not trigger the need to activate however if you have added a hd, upgraded a video card, or did some other upgrades, then swapped controller modes, it may need to reactivate.

10. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

reactivation is fine.....

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0, does this have what i would need?

or should i go with

Acronis True Image Home v11.0.0.802?

director suite contains:
    Acronis Partition Manager allows you to resize, move, copy, split, and merge partitions without losing your data

Acronis Boot Manager is a multi-boot software utility that allows you to install multiple operating systems on your PC

Acronis Partition Recovery allows you to recover accidentally lost or deleted partitions

Acronis Disk Editor is a disk drive repair tool that allows you to perform advanced operations on your hard disk drive, such as restoration of boot records and hexadecimal editing

11. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

cancel that

Acronis True Image Workstation 9.1.3887 with Universal Restore Disk is making its way to my computer

this version ok?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The workstation w/universal restore is what you need to accomplish what you want to do. Read the documentation for universal restore completely before you start. Basically you are going to have to make an image then use universal restore to install the raid driver instead of the driver for sata or ahci.

This is another reason why I am so down on onboard raid. They use different drivers depending on the mode selected ie standard ide, ahci, or raid.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice