1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid 0 enclosure formats drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mistical83, Dec 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mistical83

Mistical83 Thread Starter

My computer will not boot windows and I need to get data off of my hard drives. I have a raid 0 setup. I bought a media sonic raid enclosure and in the directions it says: “When both HDD are installed at the same time in any RAID mode, all data will be formatted.”

Is there anyway to use this enclosure without formatting the drives?
    If not, how do I get the data off my hard drives when a raid 0 setup?

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot take drives that were in a raid array with one type of controller and install those on another type of controller. Not going to work. If the same controller was used to create the array as what is in the raid box, then it may work.
    If this raid array was created using a motherboard raid controller ie onboard raid, forget about it. Not going to work unless you have the same mb ie Asus XXX123 and you replace it with an Asus XXX123.

3. Mistical83

What do you suggest to do to recover data? Is it even possible?

Windows 7 had a critical update and afterward windows won’t boot for me or repair itself.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have a saying "With unlimited money just about anything is possible"

First of all what exact controller did you use ie was it a motherboard controller, real raid card, what?
    If the motherboard still works, you can install windows on another drive. Once it is up and running, connect your two raid drives to the controller and see if you can access the files.
    Another option is to just send the drives to a data recovery shop. If the drives are still working, it should not be too expensive ie under $500. If one of the drives has failed, the cost goes way up from there.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just for future reference, using raid0 is just asking to lose data. You double the chance of drive failure and if one drive fails, you loose everything on the array. The only way to ever use raid0 is to have a third drive that is not part of the array. Store image backups of the array on the third drive. At least that way you would not have so much of a chance of data loss.

6. Mistical83

I honestly have no idea, it’s an Alienware computer. I did not build it myself. How would I tell?

The format of the data on the hard drives seems to have changed to raw somehow reading the command prompts

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most likely onboard raid. If your motherboard still works ie the board will complete POST, then you can attempt to install windows on a third drive. Note you will have to load the raid driver during the install. It is not all that difficult however installing with the mb controller in raid mode is a little more complex.

Up to you. Either attempt to install windows on a third drive then connect your existing raid drives OR send the drives to a data recovery shop. Do get an estimate from the shop since this service is not cheap. Be sure and tell them the drives are in raid0 since it will effect the cost.

8. Mistical83

I installed xubuntu on a flash drive and tried to mount the drivers' partitions but several wouldn't mount to ubuntu. Would installing another drive to install windows be any different?

9. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Did you already take the drives out of the PC and put in the enclosure? If you did you broke your RAID and all data is lost. That's been my experience when helping out.

10. Mistical83

No, I did not touch them yet since I read the instructions first and noticed it said it formats the drives.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

AFAIK, linux does not work with software raid ie onboard raid. Linux does work well with real raid ie a real raid card/controller or hardware raid.
    Other than sending the drives to a shop, your only other choice is to get another drive and install windows on that drive. Once windows is up and running, you can then connect your raid drives. Note do not have them connected during the install; just pull the pw connectors or pull the data cable.

12. Mistical83

Thank you for the response, will this help me get files off the drives even if im told they are being read in raw format now?

What size/kind of drive should I get for the third one to install windows? Does it matter?
    Right now all I know is I have a 6tb raid 0 setup. I don’t know what kind of drives I have besides SATA. Does it matter what type I get?

13. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    One reason they may be seen as RAW is that the current system doesn't recognize the RAID format used by your previous controller. Most likely some on-board RAID.
    As others previously have stated. THe thing to do it to remove power from them, install windows on a separate disk. WHen that runs then re-connect the drives exactly as they were before. THis obviously has to be done using the board you originally had them connected to.
    Now, if you have a hardware RAID, basically a separate add-on card, then you may be able to install that, the disks and have the system recognize the RAID configuration. Some, not all hardware RAID, will see that there's a virtual volume created already.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Does not matter what type of disk you are using for the install; spin drive, ssd, whatever. Since there is probably only one controller on the board, you are going to have to load the raid driver during the install. You get this driver from the support page for your system. At least win7 will read the driver from a usb; XP and win2k would only load a driver from a floppy :eek::eek::eek: OR you had to slipstream the driver into an install CD.

Fireflycph I believe he has onboard raid or software raid. A lot of those old alienware systems came with drives in raid0 in an attempt to improve performance.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just an opinion however depending on how important this data is to you, you might want to give up on the idea trying to access the array and just send the drives to a shop. As I said above be sure and get an estimate since this is NOT cheap.
    Hopefully a lesson has been learned. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data. With an image backup of your raid array, it would be a very simple matter to either just restore the array OR if a drive has failed, install a new drive then restore.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice