RAID 0 HD Failing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ozmai

Strange noises emanating from one of two Seagate Barracuda 160 HD about a month ago. Intel taskbar warning "A drive in a RAID0 volume is failing."
Seagate Seatools Diagnostic Results:
90-Second Test Result: Passed
Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Passed
File Structure Test Result: Failed with critical Errors.

Do I need a new HD? Or will a format and reset of the RAID which shows "Error Occurred" for the corrupted disk work?
If a new HD is needed how do I install a new one with the same RAID0 configuration?
Am running Win XP Pro, P4 3.0, 1024mb RAM.
Thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, the first thing you need is a BACKUP, and I'd do it quickly!

It appears that it's the data that's suspect, my guess is a total backup and rebuilding and reformatting the RAID array will make it right.

ozmai

Thanks for the response. I've backed up what I can. Unfortunately many folders refuse to be copied claiming the "data is corrupted" although I can still see and open them on the C drive. I've used Spin Rite, Check Disk and File Scavenger but for some reason they first 2 don't see anything wrong with the drive. Checkdisk did right after the drive became noisy but not anymore. File Scavenger didn't retrieve anything of worth.

ozmai

How do I go about rebuilding and reformatting the RAID? Is it a complete Windows reformat and reinstall?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you don't have an image backup, you'll probably be starting from scratch. I have an image backup made once a week with Acronis True Image of my RAID-0 boot partition, and I can regenerate it in about 15 minutes. :)

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
I think xxcopy will now work in XP

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Hmm... maybe not.

XXCOPY for Disk Cloning

Probably the most popular use of XXCOPY is as an inexpensive and simple disk-cloning tool. Using XXCOPY, you can easily clone your primary hard drive onto a second drive. Reasons for doing this include the purchase of a new drive, or simply as an emergency spare should your primary drive fail. One note before going any further -- the cloned drive can only be made bootable for Windows 95/98/ME. XXCOPY cannot recreate a bootable disk for Windows NT/2000/XP systems.

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
JohnWill said:
Hmm... maybe not.

XXCOPY for Disk Cloning

Probably the most popular use of XXCOPY is as an inexpensive and simple disk-cloning tool. Using XXCOPY, you can easily clone your primary hard drive onto a second drive. Reasons for doing this include the purchase of a new drive, or simply as an emergency spare should your primary drive fail. One note before going any further -- the cloned drive can only be made bootable for Windows 95/98/ME. XXCOPY cannot recreate a bootable disk for Windows NT/2000/XP systems.

The version I am using is free!

That part I had not heard! :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online