1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAID 0 & Incorrect drive size problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OskiO, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OskiO

OskiO Thread Starter

Just installed a second SATA HD in my Dell XPS 410. Both drives are WD 250GB. Using the Intel Matrix Storage Console I can see I have the correct 465.6GB. In the System Setup I have RAID enabled. I migrated to the RAID 0 and it took 3 hours. I can tell the system IS faster.

So, here is the problem. When I go into My Computer I see my HD, right click and choose properties and it says I have a total of 228GB and not 465GB. Also, in Disk Management I see Disk 0 and it shows my NTFS partition (old SATA Drive) and an adjoining new Unallocated 236GB Partition.

Can someone tell me if all this is normal or if something doesn't sound right.

Thanks,
    C

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

3. OskiO

OskiO Thread Starter

I read through the article but didn't find out anything new. thanks!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I know some controllers allow you to create a raid array without destroying all data on the disks, however I have never used it nor would I trust it. I would do one of the following.

1 Backup what you want to keep and do a clean install after recreating the array.

2 Image your current setup. Now create the array on your disks and restore the image to the raid array.

FWIW I would do option 1.

In any case, backup anything important before you begin.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/519712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice