1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAID 0 Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by diesel43078, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diesel43078

diesel43078 Thread Starter

I recently took the SSD out of my gaming rig to put it in my laptop. I replaced the SSD with 2 WD caviar black 500GB HDD's in a RAID 0 array. My question is, one caviar black scores a 5.9 on the windows experience index, and RAID 0 increases drive performance, so why is my HDD score still 5.9 even in RAID 0? It's a fresh installation of windows 7 professional, with all updates. Any insight, advice, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you using a real raid controller or onboard raid?
    If you are using onboard raid, then I would NOT be expecting a big increase in performance. IMO onboard raid is next to useless.

BTW I would not be putting too much faith in the windows experience index. Use something like hd tune to benchmark your drives.

3. diesel43078

It's onboard RAID, Jmicron controller on an EVGA x58.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Jmicron is probably the most troublesome of all of the onboard raid controllers. Intel being about the best and yours the worst.

FWIW if you really really must have raid, then go with a real raid controller like a promise or highpoint raid card.

Here is an example of a quality raid card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816102080

Here is a link to hdtune I would download this and see what it says about your array. I would expect to see something like 90~110mps avg speed.

5. diesel43078

I'm not putting too much weight in the WEI, just wondering why it isn't any different than a single drive.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    WEI isn't perfect. Have you actually run a hard drive test before and after? Something like HT Tach or HD Tune?

Curios, what did your SSD score?

Also maybe this has some relevance: http://www.blogsdna.com/2133/fix-low-hard-drive-windows-experience-index-wei-score-in-windows-7.htm

And the JMicron controllers aren't the greatest. By the way, where did you get the JMicron drivers from? Windows Update, Gigabyte, or JMicron? Controllers like this can be heavily dependent on the driver, try the JMicron site drivers: ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/

7. diesel43078

The SSD scored a 6.8. I haven't ran a HDD benchmark yet. I'm probably going to google the HD tach results for a single caviar black, and run a benchmark on mine to compare. Since I downgraded directly from a SSD to the RAID array, I have no idea as to whether or not it's actually performing better than a single drive. I'm gonna run some tests and see what I come up with.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may get better results using the Intel RAID, as crjdriver mentions they tend to be the best of the onboard/integrated controllers.

9. diesel43078

Ran a HD Tune benchmark and the average transfer rate on the RAID 0 array was 158.3. The only test results I could find after a quick search was a caviar black 640 with an average around 95. The benchmark is showing that it's obviously faster. I wonder why windows doesn't think so.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    WEI is just a basic ranking system for the average Joe to know what he has, its means nothing to enthusiasts.

11. diesel43078

Yeah I understand that, maybe I'm just being too picky. 3dmark vantage score is 32,000+, and even with mechanical hdd's it's still pretty fast. Doesn't boot as quickly as it did with the ssd, but it's still snappy, apps open quickly, and write speeds are pretty good. I know it's fast, that's all that matters I guess, lol. I guess it just bugs me to see 7.8's and 7.9's all the way down the list except for the hdd.

12. Compiler

Compiler

WEI will always score to the lowest performing item.

WEI means nothing, it can rank a 4870 card very high when a new 5870 is easily a much faster product. So for the most part, WEI is useless.

While a benchmark program may show a faster transfer-rate in its test, best possible, its not the same as real world. A drive error, glitch anything minor can destroy the RAID 0. Want faster performance, use a quality SSD unit.

13. diesel43078

I have an ssd, but I took it out to put in my laptop. The RAID array is fast enough for just playing games and browsing the web.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice