1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid 0 questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Convarin, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Convarin

Convarin Thread Starter

Hi everybody, :)

I just discovered this site today, so let me begin by thanking everyone for their much appreciated time and expertise.

I am in a bit of a quandary. I have an older Dell XPS Gen5 running windows XP SP3. It came factory-equipped with two 160 gig hard drives, configured as Raid 0, totaling a single 293 gig array. It appears as though the controller can run SATA II, but the drives are SATA I. Although the computer is running perfectly, I would like to do one of the following upgrades:

1. Replace both drives with two SATA II 500 gig drives, or two 1 TB SATA II drives. I don’t know if Windows XP can handle two 1 TB drives.

2. Dump the Raid 0 array and replace it with a single, non-Raid, 1 or 2 TB hard drive.

The problem is this: Some specialized equipment in our lab absolutely must run XP so updating to Windows 7 is not a viable possibility. Obviously I cannot do a clean install of XP because there are no longer updates available, but I do have the original XP installation disk. I have made three verified full system images (using Macrium Reflect) on three different external drives for safety, and a verified Macrium boot disk.

So, being that Raid 0 is already configured, can I simply plug in two new drives and restore the image, or are there other steps involved?

The absolute most important question: If something goes wrong during the upgrade, if I just put back the two original drives and reboot, will the system function as it did prior to the attempted upgrade? Losing the data would be a disaster!

Thanks to everyone who helps me with this. I really cannot thank you enough.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Of course you can do a clean install of Windows. If the computer is just in a lab with no internet access then you don't need to do any updates if you don't need them. And if you do need them simply run Windows Update and get them. Microsoft has stopped making updates for Windows, they have not removed any previous updates; those are still available from Microsoft from the Windows Update site or for manual download in the case of Service Packs.

If you don't need the added performance of RAID-0 then go with a single drive, RAID-0 also adds much higher risk and data loss then a single drive. A modern drive might actually be faster than two older drives in RAID-0. Since it's an older system I wouldn't go above 1TB, to play it safe and if you don;t need that much space I would even recommend getting a 500GB drive.

You can clone the RAID array to a single drive, it'll probably work. You will need to leave the SATA controller in RAID mode though so it still boots.

If you are not backing up the data then you are making a massive mistake. You should always have backups especially when using RAID-0 which has much greater potential for data loss. If you have full images then thats great and you won't loose those no matter what.

You should be able to put the two RAID drives back and it should see that they are part of RAID and use them again but no guarantees. You must also conenct them to the exact same ports they are currently connected too.

RAID-1 would be a better choice, but that's still not a replacement for a proper backup.

3. Convarin

Convarin Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the information provided. I assumed (mistakenly) that when Microsoft discontinued XP support, that all previous updates and service packs were removed. It’s nice to know they are still available.

As far as upgrading the hard drives, I will wait until I have full confidence that the original drives can be reinstalled in case of an upgrade failure. Yes, I do have backups and full system images, but if I cannot be absolutely sure the image can be successfully restored, it’s not worth the risk.

Thank you once again for you assistance.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No backup is worth anything until you validate your ability to actually restore the backup.

Unless you have actually done a restore [and had it work] I would NOT put much faith in the backup. When you need the backup is not the time to find out you cannot do a bare metal restore.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No one can guarantee that it will work if you put the old drives back or that a restore from backup will work, only you will know that by trying.

I have reinserted RAID-0 drives back my computer after having a different configuration and even moved them to another Intel controller based motherboard and it has worked. But that was my case, and someone else's may vary. The controller should see that the drives were part of a RAID array and use them accordingly since it will be the same computer, the keyword is should.

6. Convarin

Convarin Thread Starter

Many thanks to both of you for the additional input. Just to clarify things a bit, I have used Macrium many times in the past to restore images. On the particular Dell computer in question, I have successfully restored the image three times over the years without issues using the existing drives. My concern is that I have never done it on a Raid system after replacing the drives. I am not certain if I must first enter Bios and the Intel Array Console to configure the drives, or if I just put then in and press the Macrium reimage button.

I have recently upgraded several laptops to SSD’s using Macrium, so I am quite comfortable and confident with it. As long as you feel the existing drives should work if I need to reinstall them, I may just give it a try. I understand there are no guaranties.

Thanks again for your time. (y)

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I know acronis will restore to different hardware. I am not sure macrium will allow you to do a bare metal/different hardware restore.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Since you are running in RAID modem now you do not want to change that BIOS setting or Windows will not boot. Leave the controller in RAID mode, you can run a single drive and not utilities the RAID even with the controller with RAID mode. If I recall correctly, if you remove both drives from the system then the Intel RAID utility doesn't show any errors and treats the new drive as a single drive, otherwise you may have to go into it, I think it's CTRL and I, to enter the setup but you'll see in come up on screen anyway and remove the previous array - you MUST have the two drives disconnected so that it doesn't actually touch the structure on the drives themselves.

9. Convarin

Convarin Thread Starter

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I will order the drives and give it a go. I’ll let you know the outcome when I have finished.

Thanks again :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice