Raid 0 Setup Performs Worse Than Single HDD Setup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

marlborough

So I decided to experiment with Raid 0 on my i7 system to see if it had any impact on video encoding performance using two 500Gb Green Caviar WD HDD's. Specifically, I encoded a 700Mb AVI to DVD. Unfortunately, it took almost 3 times longer over a single HDD setup.

Prior to this, I installed Vista Ultimate (non-Raid mode) on 5 different 500Gb HDD's and a Velociraptor and ran the same test above. Keep in mind that the video file and the software were always on the Main Drive and there were no jumpers on any of them.

Here's A summary:

WD 500Gb Green Caviar 16mb Cache = 13 mins
WD 500Gb Green Caviar 16mb Cache = 36 mins
WD 500Gb Green Caviar 16mb Cache = 13.5 mins
WD VelociRaptor 150Gb 16mb Cache = 12.5 mins
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb 16mb Cache = 39 mins
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb 32mb Cache = 37 mins
Raid0 WD 2 x 500Gb Green Caviar = 34 mins

So is this AAM related causing such dramatic variations?

When I get home tonight, I plan to run a program that's supposed to disable AAM.

I'd say onboard RAID controller was the reason. To use RAID, always use a RAID card. Did you?

marlborough

I used the onboard Raid on an Asus p6t.

What's really bugging is the huge variation in encoding times for the other 6 HDD's in non-Raid mode.

Remember, the Raid 0 test was only one out of a total of 7 tests.

Is it possible that when I ran the Raid 0 test, I used one of the HDD's that was handicapped by AAM?

Really don't know. Seeing one of the WD Caviar Greens was slow, you propably used that and it made the faster one operating at full speed slower...

crjdriver

BG-O is correct, onboard raid is next to useless. If you really really want raid [which I think for a home user is not worth it] then buy a real raid card.

Just think about it for a min. A quality raid card costs as much or more than your whole mb. What kind of performance do you think you are going to get from onboard raid?

Next the new seagate drives have had problems. Go to the seagate site and input your serial number to see if your drives are affected. There is also an app you can download to see if your drives are affected. These drives have to have a firmware update in order to function correctly.

dustyjay

Jay
And speaking of the Firmware update from Seagate, just yesterday they issued another Firmware fix to fix the one they issued on the 16th. This first update caused some 500GB Barrcuda drives to experience problems. The new patch also addresses some problems with Maxtor Diamond Max drives.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online