1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid 0 vs. Single Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sidious66, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sidious66

Sidious66 Thread Starter

Would it be better to have 2 80 gig hard drives running on raid 0, or just get one 160 gig hard drive? I there not some risk at running raid 0 being that one drive could fail and all my data lost?

Thanks for any info :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, if one drive fails in a RAID-0 array, the data is indeed gone!

Remember, RAID of any level is not backup, so no matter what you have, you need to have a backup plan for your data. What happens if that single 160gig drive fails?

3. pinntech

pinntech

I second JohnWill’s opinion!

RAID 0 should give you a performance enhancement, but in my opinion not enough that you will notice on your system. If a drive goes out in the RAID 0 configurations, data loss will happen.

If you are looking for data security, choose RAID 1 or RAID 5. RAID 5 provides the ability to continue operation when a drive fails! However, you will most likely have a loss in disk access speeds! RAID 5 requires at least 3 drives!

RAID 1 requires at least 2 disks! If a drive fails, you can swap out the bad drive and rebuild it, then continue operation.

Also, as JohnWill stated, it is not a replacement for having a BACKUP!

Thanks!

4. Deth

Deth

My decision on whether or not to get RAID depends directly on the budget. If you have the extra cash, go for RAID 0 if you're a gamer like me and like the extra performance. If you got a LOT of money to spare, get two 150GB WD Raptors in RAID 0 with a Real Hardware RAID card. If you just want a good harddrive and don't want to overly spend, just get a decent single SATA 3.0Gb/s harddrive. I usually get the 16MB Cache.

As for the backup, save your important documents and files onto a flash drive or burn them to CDs/DVDs.

5. Larkina

Larkina

How often should you zero the hard drive? My system is somewhat new but I've installed Window Vista I know about 10 or 11 times. Would it be a good time to perform this option? In performing a clean install although I haven't seen anything left over from the previous installs. Also after downloading Vista what should you do next in order to dual boot Windows XP? This is the part where I'm lost. Could you'll help me please. Thank you very kindly in advance.

Dell XPS 410
    Window Vista Home Premium 32bit
    Ati Radeon X1300 Pro 256MB
    Intel 2.4GHz. duo core E6600 processor
    250G Western Digital SATA hard drive
    2 Gs of Ram

6. GripS

GripS

Isn't Raid 1(mirror) a way of constantly backing up data? It's my understanding that if 1 of the drives fails in this scenario you still have a duplicate data on one drive that will still be intact.

7. JohnWill

RAID-1 is NOT backup! While it's true that in the event of a hard disk failure, you have a second copy, that's the only scenario where you get a "backup" benefit. How about a system crash, malware, or simply a slip of the finger deleting a folder with important data? The RAID-1 array happily deletes the copies from both disks for you.

I'll say it again, RAID of any level is NOT backup!

8. GripS

GripS

understood. :)

9. bigbear

bigbear

There is not limit on how many times you can format the drive.
    Install XP in the normal manner by booting from the cd.
    When you get to the part on where to install, create a new partition and install.
    When done, in the load up screen you will be given an option of which OS you want to boot from

10. JohnWill

That was also for the peanut gallery. :D Many people still persist in the belief that their data is safe because they're stored it on a RAID-1 or RAID-5 array. It's hard to get the point across it's not really safe at all. :)

11. GripS

GripS

yep. I was thinking more along the lines of mechanical failure. But neglected the more common causes of loss of data like 'accidentally' deleting something or a malware attack of some sort.

12. JohnWill

Just wander into Security or one of the Windows forums, that'll refresh your memory. :D

13. Sidious66

Sidious66 Thread Starter

thanks for the replies :)
    so forking out a little extra cash to get 2 80 gb hd's running raid 0 rather than a single 160gb drive wouldn't really give me much performance increase?

14. Sidious66

Sidious66 Thread Starter

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can expect somewhere around 30-40% increase in disk speed with raid0.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/568112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice