1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid 0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by k_bo, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k_bo

k_bo Thread Starter

I started a thread last week asking for advice on RAID setup for my home computer. I Just got a email for a guy I work for part time for and he is having porblems with using the program Dropbox. The program slows the computer down.

The computer has i3 processer with 4gb ram and a 1tb hard drive WIN7.

His question to me was:

"We tried to put Dropbox on the warehouse computer and realized that it’s very hard drive challenged. So, we went out and bought another computer from BestBuy. However, we now realize that we really need 2 of them in order to allow the guys to download their pictures quickly. Rather than buy another computer, I was wondering if we could simply ad a 1 Terabyte hard drive to this existing computer…inexpensively. Let me know if that’s something you could easily add and then configure."

Do you think the the program is.... bottle necking at the hard drive when using DropBox? And to you think a having a 2tb RAID 0 setup could/would help??.

Thanks for the help

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unless the drive is faulty, it's not likely the cause. DropBox doesn't put much load onto the hard drive, and it absolutely doesn't require RAID-0. There's something else wrong with the computer is my guess, unless of course the drive is faulty in which case putting in a new drive would help, but still no need for RAID especially with the added risk of failure.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Raid0 does increase read/write times somewhat however you also double you chances of data loss. With raid0, part of each file is written to each drive; have one drive fail and you have lost everything. If you are going to use raid0, then you need a backup plan. Make regular image files of the raid array and store that on a NAS, external type drive, internal drive that is not part of the array, etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice