1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid 0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bengaul, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bengaul

Bengaul Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm trying to set up RAID 0 on a Asus A8N-SLI Mobo. Does anyone know a good manual or has any tips? The disk manager in XP said I had a partion of 19.53 on C: and 353.08 on D:, but surly with RAID 0 it should just show arround 200GB in all as I have 2 x 200 GB disks?

Any help anyone?

thanks

Ben.

2. norton850

norton850

Is this a new install? Did you press F6 and install the RAID driver during the Windows install? If things went right (and obviously they didn't) you should just have the two drives listed as a RAID0 or stripe and only have a single drive letter.

3. Bengaul

Bengaul Thread Starter

Yes this is a new install, I pressed F6 inserted my disk, and it said it was installing raid 5. What makes matters confusing is the fact that there are 2 types of RAID controller on the mobo, nvidia (ide i guess), and sata raid.

4. norton850

norton850

You're right you have 8 SATA connectors (2 sets of four). They are all actually SATA/RAID although only half of them say SATA/RAID. The 4 that just say SATA are under nForce control and the ones that say SATA/RAID use the Silicon Image drivers. I believe that in order to use the nForce ones as RAID you need to set them as such in BIOS, while the Silicon Image set are enable for RAID by default.

On which two connectors are your drives plugged in?

5. Bengaul

Bengaul Thread Starter

I belive that the connectors are plugged in on the set of four on the left (Silicon Image).

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    With RAID-0, or striping, the total space is the sum of the two drives. So approximately 400GB is right. And since you have two partitions and one is larger then a single drive it must be configured in RAID-0. With RAID-1, which is the other option on the motherboard, you would lose the capacity of the second drive as it would be a backup of the first drive.

7. Bengaul

Bengaul Thread Starter

It looks like it has not configured RAID at all. How can I confirm that the disks are in RAID format?

8. norton850

norton850

Have you taken the CD that came with the motherboard and under the driver menu click make Silicon SATA RAID Driver disc and copied that to a floppy?

Make sure in BIOS that under onboard devices configuration that the Silicon Image Controller is set to RAID

Follow the instructions in your manual I think it's page 5-31 to enter the Silicon Image RAID configuration utility. Page 5-32 has the instructions for RAID0. Use Auto.

Then Reinstall Windows watching for the press F6 early on.

9. Bengaul

Bengaul Thread Starter

I'll give it another go thanks.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you have a partition with a size of 353 GB how can it not be in RAID-0? Its bigger then a single disk. Total space with 2 x 200 GB drives will give you 400 GB of space.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice