1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

raid 1 mirroring

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by x_saosin_x, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x Thread Starter

can anybody shed a little light on setting up a raid level 1 please.
    thanks

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

I can't tell you much, but I use raid 1, because it provides a failsafe, allowing the system to boot from only one harddrive, if one fails. It is slightly slower than raid 0, but not enough to make a difference to me. I'm not really sure just what you are asking?

3. x_saosin_x

i was asking how to set it up.

i have 2x 80gb hdd's and a raid contole card. but theres no instructions on how to do it.

4. seekermeister

seekermeister

I would check the card manufacturer's website. They should have an online or downloadable manual available.

5. x_saosin_x

nothing at all.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. seekermeister

seekermeister

What is the brand and model of the card?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I hope you're not thinking that RAID-1 is backup. Any virus, P/S hit, or simply an O/S crash can take out the data on both copies in a flash. RAID-1 is really just for hi-rel situations where you're trying to minimize the downtime because of a disk failure. With proper backups, there's really no point in using RAID-1.

If I had two 80 gig drives, I'd use one for the system, and the second one for backup, then you'll have real backup.

9. seekermeister

seekermeister

Some motherboards provide for setting a hot spare, as well in a raid array. I suppose that all three could get fried, but then I never had much luck with backup disks either.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, RAID is certainly not backup, so putting three drives in the array and not having backup seems really silly. With RAID-1, you'd end up having 1/3 of the capacity of the three disks to use. :rolleyes: I really don't see the point. :confused: (n)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

John is correct.
    Connect two drives to the raid card in raid0 or raid1. Now connect a third drive for image files ie backup. This is how I have my raid system setup; two 120 gig sata drives in raid0 with a third drive for image files and backup of software.

If you post the make and model of raid card, I [or someone else] can tell you how to set it up.

Basically you connect each drive as a master on its own channel [if this is ide raid] sata raid has no master / slave. Once you connect the drives, you restart the system and enter the raid bios. You will need to know what card in order to know what key combo to hit. Once in the raid bios you will select the drives to add to the array and the type of array ie raid0, raid1, etc. Note some cards call this stripe and mirror or performance and security. You create the array and restart. Load windows on the array.

Note you will need to load the raid driver during setup via the F6 key when prompted. Raid arrays are partitioned and formatted just like any other drive. To the os, it will look like one drive; not two.

12. prunejuice

prunejuice

Is that RAID 0+1?

13. squidboy

squidboy

For a home user, I don't recommend raid at all. You're not getting any of the benefits and all of the risks because:

In the 'old days', a true mirror/duplex was on separate controllers (host bus adapters). This really offloaded reads/writes away from the CPU. With current motherboards and on-board controllers, you do not have this.

Besides which, you need a bit a skill and knowledge to recover from a broken mirror which Windows does not handle well. If a stripe (raid 0) fails, that pretty much knocks out both drives.

Further, there was some speculation about performance improvement striping drives, but this has been found to be false (under Windows).

And, the only reason you would ever need to stripe a drive would be to create a larger partition than your single drive has. Maybe for some application but again, this was years ago and is no longer needed for home user applications.

If you have several drives my advice is to make one system (OS stuff + swapfile) and the others for data or apps.

Edit: no punejuice, raid 0+1 requires 4 drives, mirroring (raid 0) 2 pairs of drives that are striped (raid 1)

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, it is raid0. I use a non-raid drive as backup. All drives are connected to the same promise card. This is one of the many benefits of a real raid card. You can connect both raid and non-raid drives. Most onboard type of controllers will not do this; they are either raid OR standard ide not both.

15. prunejuice

prunejuice

Thanks. I'd heard the term RAID 0+1, but didn't know what it refered to.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice