1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAID 1 partitioning problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hardlyworking, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hardlyworking

hardlyworking Thread Starter

I'm a noobie and have little knowledge regarding partitioning and don't want to spend hours looking through posts for the solution to what is probably a simple problem. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit and I have a RAID 1 setup - C: is my main drive and D: is Recovery. They should be identical, but recently C: is showing a volume capacity of 365.05 GB (OK) but D: is showing a volume capacity of 7.55 GB, volume free space of 602.83 MB and volume used space of 6.96 GB. C: has a partition starting offset of 32,256 bytes; D: has a partition starting offset of 391,967,493,120 bytes. Can someone walk me through the steps to get the RAID partitioning back to normal?
    Thanks!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I am not understanding your post at all.

1 Are you sure you in-fact have a raid array?
    2 Partitions are part of the array. What does disk management show for your array? Post a screenshot of DM.
    3 Are you by chance calling the two drives of the array C & D? If so, this is not correct. C, D, etc refer to partitions of the array not separate drives that make up the array.

3. hardlyworking

Sorry for the confusion. I will include the applicable info from Disk Manager:

Volume: HP(C:)
    Layout: Simple
    Type: Basic
    File System: NTFS
    Status: Healthy (System, Boot, Page File,Active, Crash Dump,Primary Partition
    Capacity: 149.05 GB
    Free Space: 135.36 GB
    % Free: 91%
    Fault Tolerant: No

Volume: Recovery(D:)
    Layout: Simple
    Type: Basic
    File System: NTFS
    Capacity: 7.55 GB
    Free Space: 903 MB
    % Free: 12%
    Fault Tolerant: No

Info from System information report for disks shows:
    Description: Disk drive
    Manufacturer: (Standard disk drives)
    Model: RAID1
    Bytes/Sector: 512
    Media Type: Fixed hard drive
    Partitions: 2
    SCSI Bus: 0
    SCSI Logical Unit: 0
    SCSI Port: 0
    Sectors/Track: 63
    Size: 372.60 GB (400,077,619,200 bytes)
    Total Cylinders: 48,640
    Total Sectors: 781,401,600
    Total Tracks: 12,403,200
    Tracks/Cylinder: 255
    Partition: Disk #0, Partition #0
    Partition Size: 365.05 GB (391,967,460,864 bytes)
    Partition Starting Offset: 32,256 bytes
    Partition: Disk #0, Partition #1
    Partition Size: 7.55GB (8,110,126,080 bytes)
    Partition Starting Offset: 391,967,493,120 bytes)

I hope that makes things a little clearer.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I am not understanding your problem. You have a raid array with a C partition and a recovery partition ie D. Where is the problem? Next you have not posted a screenshot of disk management.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW this is what a screenshot of disk management looks like.

Attached Files:

6. hardlyworking

The problem is that the Recovery partition D is almost maxed out and the partition offset is way too high. Screenshot is attached. I have run error checking and defrag on D to no avail. Partition D should be identical to C, right?

Attached Files:

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. You are not understanding. You have two physical drives that make up a raid1 array. That array is approx 372gig or so. 365 is used for C and the rest is the recovery partition.

If you think D should be the same size as C, that is incorrect. You have one partition [C] that is usable; D is simply the recovery partition.

With raid1, the array is only as big as the smallest drive that makes up the array. As an example if you had an 80gig drive and a 40gig drive that made up a raid1 array, the array would be 40gig. If it were raid0, it would be 80gig [2X the smallest drive]

In your case, you have 2 400gig drives in raid1. Your array would be 372gig. The other 28gig is lost due to the different ways of measuring drive size. The drive maker uses one way and the os uses another [binary]

In short, you have no problem.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW raid for the average user is just about useless. Raid1 is not a backup plan. It is only hardware redundant. It does noting for a virus, malware, corrupted driver install, etc. Every error is mirrored on the other drive. In short the only good it does is allows you to have a drive failure and not lose any data. You can simply replace the failed drive and rebuild the array.

If you are not backing up your data/work files, you are asking for data loss. Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

9. hardlyworking

Thanks for the explanation. Previously, I could have sworn that both volumes showed near the identical size. Plus, the Recovery (D:) space used was showing a red bar, which led me to believe there was a problem. Sorry for being technically challenged.

BTW, I do have scheduled backups on an external drive.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You may have a problem with one of the drives in the array however your partitions are correct. Most system builders hide the recovery partition however in this case I guess it was not done.

You can test the drive with the drive maker's diagnostic. You download this from whomever made the drive; ie WD, Seagate, etc. It runs from bootable media; CD or floppy.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice