1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid 1 question

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ykachioff, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ykachioff

ykachioff Thread Starter

Can the Raid 1 function be deactivated so that the second drive be protected from bugs and viruses.

Also if my computer has an external SATA connector can it be used for the second drive?

What I am shooting for is an elegant way to clone a drive using the RAID feature without having to go in to connect and disconnect the second drive.

2. Rockn

Rockn

RAID isn't an elegant way to clone a drive. If you break the mirror the second drive is pretty much useless. You can use something like Ghost or Acronis to do this automated and scripted to pretty much any drive setup you like.

3. ykachioff

ykachioff Thread Starter

Yes,I have been using XX Clone quite successful on my older computer using two IDE drives (the second one is hooked up only when I want to clone)). However the new computer I plan to buy comes with a raid configuration , I understand that I can elect to get it with one drive (without activating the Raid )but can I install a second drive temporarly similar to what I do now on my current PC .

4. Rockn

Rockn

Sure, you do not have to enable RAID, just plug in another drive like you normally would.

5. ykachioff

ykachioff Thread Starter

Can this second drive be an IDE drive or it has to be a SATA?
    Do the new motherbords have in addition to SATA connectors also an EID ones?

6. Rockn

Rockn

I have no idea what your board has on it. My motherboard has a RAID controller as well as a regular parallel IDE adapter. Look up your MB specs.

7. ykachioff

ykachioff Thread Starter

It's ASUS A8N32 and it does have both IDE and SATA connectors , can I mix'em?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're asking if you can connect SATA and IDE drives to the same computer, it's no problem. If you're asking something else, you'll have to be clearer.

FWIW, I'd put a backup drive in an USB enclosure, that way you can have it totally off-line unless you're actually doing the backup.

9. ykachioff

ykachioff Thread Starter

Would a second drive in a USB enclosure be recognized as a secondary drive ?

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

No. External storage/removable drive.

Just like an MP3 player, flash drive etc....

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It will look just like any other disk drive to the system, except you can remove it and take it with you. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice