1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAID 5 Expansion

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jpd1234, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpd1234

jpd1234 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 running Windows NT 4.0 server and 2 logical drives on a raid 5 array.

I have just added a new 9.1GB disk (same as the other 5) and run the Compaq array config utility. This has happily added the new disk to the array and restripped the data. However, NT isn't showing any more free disk space.

I had this happen when I added the 5th disk and I know I had to do something else to get NT to see the extra space, but I don't remember what.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My only experience with a Compaq RAID-5 array was that 5 drives was the maximum it would manage, the 6th was simply a spare that hung around until one of the other drives failed. I may be off-base here, since it's been awhile since I worked with the Compaq server, just an observation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441741