RAID array failure?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KnightRT

I'm having a problem with a potentially failing RAID array and/or disk drives.

Two weeks ago, I was burning a DVD from files on the RAID array when the burn failed with a data read error. The array subsequently displayed the following characteristics:

1. Event Viewer showed a 'The device, fasttrack1, did not respond within the timeout period' error, followed by a thousand simultaneous errors that said 'An error was detected on device.. 'harddisk2'.. during a paging operation'.

2. The RAID drive and all directories were viewable in Windows Explorer. No files within those directories could be read or written, however, and switching to thumbnail view would not show thumbs of images of any size.

3. The Disk Manager within Computer Management would not detect the RAID array.

4. After rebooting, the array works as usual. It has again failed during another DVD burning operation just today, and again works after a reboot.

My configuration:

Athlon 2000 / Gigabyte GA-7VAXP (Via) / onboard Promise RAID controller / Win2000

I have many drives in the system, but only two in RAID. They are IBM 60 GB 60GXPs in RAID-0. Windows is on a non-RAID 120 GB drive. The system runs 24/7 with something like 99.9% uptime since 2002, when I bought it.

My questions:

1) How can I test the integrity of an onboard RAID controller? Is there an equivalent to SMART?

2) How can I test the two drives connected to the array? Windows SMART utilities do not recognize the array as SMART-aware, and because it initializes after the regular BIOS, I can't check it before Windows boots.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, the best advice I can offer is to do a backup of any data on the RAID drives right now! :)

If you want to test the drives independently, you'll need to use the disk manufacturer's utility and configure the RAID controller to allow the drives to be used in a non-RAID environment. Obviously, this is best done when you have proper backups of what's on the drives!

KnightRT

I haven't touched the array itself because it is RAID 0, and I fear there is a high likelihood it won't reassemble itself if I arrange the drives to appear as two. Also.. I question how many fitness tools wouldn't have fits if they were to attempt to analyze one half of a striped array.

But I don't know. What manufacturer's utility are you referring to?

KRT

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online