1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAID Controller and Multimedia Audio Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snc8698, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snc8698

snc8698 Thread Starter

This is a problem that just recently popped up out of no where. One day upon startup two new pieces of hardware were found on my computer. I get prompted to install the drivers for a Raid Controller and a Multimedia Audio Controller.

Each day I cancel them and my computer runs just the same as it always does. It my Device Manager these two items show up in the "? Other devices" tab alongside a SM Bus Controller (which never prompts me to install so it doesn't really bother me).

Just wondering what these devices are, where they came from, and what I should do to solve the problem.

Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you do a bios flash or reset cmos by chance?

They are probably onboard devices you can disable them in the bios. You need to check your manual; each bios is a little different as to where the items in question are located.

One more question; do you have an add-on sound card and does your systems sound work ok?

3. snc8698

snc8698 Thread Starter

I didn't do anything to prompt the messages. I didn't change any settings or fool around with my bios or cmos.

By "add-on" do you mean separate from the built in motherboard soundcard? Yes, I have a different soundcard than the built in one. Everything works perfectly.

4. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Both devices can be removed from the Windows device manager (they'll have yellow question marks against their entries) and when Windows is rebooted - insert the CD that came with your motherboard and let the Windows hardware wizard search the CD for the appropriate drivers.
    (Note that the onboard audio can be/should be disabled in the BIOS and will cease to be detected by Windows.)

If you don't have a motherboard CD you'll need to specifically identify the motherboard and/or the RAID and Audio hardware devices and find drivers via the Internet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice