1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved RAID controller for server or PC or both?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mconnelly, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mconnelly

mconnelly Thread Starter

I've been shopping for a RAID controller and found what seems like a really good deal on Ebay. It's a Cisco R2X0-ML002 LSISAS1064E 4-Port SAS RAID Controller. My issue is that I know its intended for a server but, since its a PCIe standard, can it be used in a PC?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First, you'll most likely have to run Windows Server or Linux to get the drivers to work. Second, since it's a Cisco part, you most likely won't be able to get the drivers as any software downloads from Cisco requires a CCO account with a valid maintenance contract tied to it. This is assuming any OS you use doesn't already have drivers built into the OS software package. Third, to fully take advantage of what this card can do, you'll need to use SAS hard drives. These are solely in the realm of business class servers. There will be no hardware components on the consumer market which will support SAS hard drives. You'll most likely will have to source SAS cables and wire them up directly to any hard drive you use. The good news is SAS is backwards compatible with SATA. But if you're going to use SATA drives, you might as well just buy a SATA RAID controller which will open up more options for you.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What exactly is your intended purpose for using raid?
    Unless you are running a mission critical machine that needs the ability to hot swap a failed drive, then raid is pretty much useless with modern hardware. Raid0 used to give a performance boost in read/write speed over a single drive however with the advent of nvme type drives, there really is no need for raid [for the general user]

4. mconnelly

mconnelly Thread Starter

Thanks for the info and advice. I think you've convinced me that I don't need RAID. I was just trying to make 2+ HDD's look like 1. Seemed like the efficient thing to do but, maybe not. Thanks again.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, actually it is not. To make two drives appear as a single drive, you either need to use raid0 OR you can convert to dynamic disks and span the volume across both drives. The problem here is that if one drive fails, you loose everything on the array. Running raid0 or spanned drives without a good backup plan is just asking to loose data.
    Raid is really for servers that are mission critical; not for the home user. Many, many years ago I had two raptor drives in raid0. While I did get decent read/write speeds, those two raptors sounded like a rock crusher. If you have ever heard a raptor drive, you know what I mean.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice