1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAID error... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soundy, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

I have a RAID5 array using four 320GB drives on a Silicon Image SiI 3114 RAID controller. Came into the room tonight to hear a click-of-death emanating from one of the drives. Figure, okay, no problem, we'll swap in another drive and rebuild the RAID... except after shutting down and restarting, one of the other drives now shows up as an 18GB ROM?!?!?!? Needless to say, I now have a broken RAID...

The drives were running a little hot, so I'm hoping after a cool-down, I'll at least get one back long enough to copy some critical stuff off the volume. Anyone have any other ideas? Anyone maybe familiar with this controller and why one drive might be showing up as the wrong type?? Anyone tried Runtime RAID Reconstructor; would it be effective in a situation like this?
    :eek:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have never used that controller [I use either promise or highpoint] however this site may have some help for you in getting data off of the single working drive.
    http://www.runtime.org/ Download the raid reconsturctor and see if you can access the drive when you connect it to a working system.

FWIW this is why I always tell people that raid of any type is NOT a backup plan. You need to image the array on a regular basis and store the image on a NAS, external, network, etc. Raid5, raid1, or raid01 are hardware redundant only; it does nothing for a virus, malware, corrupted driver install, etc. Every error is mirrored.

3. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

Thanks... at the moment I have the system shut down, as the drives were pretty warm and I'm hoping letting them cool down will allow at least one to come back.

What baffles me is why the one disk was working before (RAID was intact, just missing the one disk), and after shutting down to swap the bad drive out, another drive is detected by the card's BIOS as being something completely different.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice