1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAID setup Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by k_bo, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k_bo

k_bo Thread Starter

I was looking for some advice. I wanted to setup a RAID on my desktop. I have read that RAID 0 is better for preference. But I have also read that you need your HDDs to be the same (memory/rpn). I intended to set up the best RAID to boost performance.

Here is the 3 HDD that I'm working with:

Maxtor
    320gb
    7200rpm

Hitachi
    500gb
    7200rpm

Toshiba
    320gb
    5400rpm

Also does this ware your HDD faster?? As in will it cause the HDD to break sooner then normal?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    RAID 0 will stripe data across two drives. It can provide a bit of a speed increase, depending upon how it's used. The drawback being that if EITHER drive fails, all of the data is lost. It's basically just a single drive in that configuration.

As for drive choice, when using RAID 0, both drives will be limited to speed of the slowest drive AND the size of the smallest drive. Hence the recommendation to use identical drives.

In your case, you will want to use the two 7200rpm drives, but they will appear as two 320gb drives. In my opinion, it'w not worth the hassle or risk.

If you want a large speed increase, get a SSD drive.

3. k_bo

k_bo Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I think with that information and as you said, its not worth it, I'll probably just leave it the same.

Thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice