1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAID setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silvershield, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silvershield

silvershield Thread Starter

Im thinking about purchasing another 250 GB hard drive... Is it possible to setup a RAID 0 array with two IDE drives, or do I need two SATA drives?
    And..
    How do I set it up?

2. silvershield

3. bigbear

bigbear

You need two clean drives of the same GB size, they dont have to be the same make.
    Not sure if you can mix sata and pata though

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The drives must connect to the raid controller. If your controller supports both ide AND sata, then yes you could connect a sata and an ide drive.

With that said, IMO you would be asking for problems doing that. When I install a raid array, the drives are of the same type ie sata, ide, scsi, etc AND of the same mfg, cache size, speed, etc.

You do not need two clean drives. When you create the raid array, it will destroy ALL data on both drives so it does not matter if anything was on the drive

To setup raid.
    1 Make sure there is no data you need on any of the drives.
    2 Connect the drives to your raid controller. If you have an ide controller, then connect each drive to it's own channel jumpered as a master. This is not needed for sata; just connect those.
    3 Make sure each drive has power
    4 Restart system and enter the raid [not system] bios. In the raid bios you will create your array. You will also choose what type of array ie raid0 for speed, raid1 for redundancy, raid5 for the best of both. You can also setup raid 01 if you have four drives.
    5 Restart system. If you are installing your os on the array, then you will need to load the raid / scsi driver during setup when it prompts you to hit the F6 key to load the driver. If you are not installing the os to the array, then just use disk management to partition and format the array.

Note you partition and format a raid array just like any drive.

FWIW I have always disliked onboard type of raid controllers. I think if you want to go raid, then use a real raid card not an onboard controller. This is because the onboard one is a "lite" or dumbed down version of a real raid card.

5. silvershield

If it destroys all the data, is there another alternative to a RAID array that offers the same amount of performance increase?

Edit: Or could I not include my current drive in the RAID array and buy two identical drives?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First it would be a good idea to state exactly what you are trying to accomplish using raid.

You could do this without a reinstall. You first need to install your raid card and driver with the current install. Now make an image and store it on another drive that is not going to be part of the array or an external drive. Create the array and restore the image. You are up and running.

FWIW I have done this once or twice, however I was never really satisfied with the stability of the system and just went ahead and clean installed. You might have better luck doing a restore than I did.

7. silvershield

I was going to purchase another hard drive anyway, identical to the one I already have installed. I was just wondering if setting up a RAID array would make a big increase in performance in all aspects.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice