1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAID sustained R/W computation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thrillkiss, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thrillkiss

thrillkiss Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Please help. Supposed we have 3 80GB HDD with say 20MB/s sustained rate (NOT the burst rate, w/c is normally higher). If we configure the above drive as RAID 0, the total capacity would yield to 240GB, however, how do we compute for the sustained rate of the RAID 0 setup? what are the limiter (if any). If such is the computation, how about other RAID levels?

thanks and have a brand new day.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, I doubt that you can create a raid 0 with three disks. The way raid 0 works is that block 1 of the data is written to the first disk and block 2 of the data to the second disk; the 3rd block will go to disk 1. So I am not sure what good a third disk in raid 0 will do you.

You will basically double the read / write speed of the single disk. Using two 80 gig drives will give you an array of 160 gig with double the read / write speed. As an example I use a raid 0 array and get 82 to 84 meg p /s disk speed from the array. A single drive I have connected to the controller gets around 40 meg p /s.

If you want to setup raid 0, use two disks and have the third for backup / image files.

3. thrillkiss

Thanks crjdriver, appreciate it buddy. Thought for a while that 2 disk would be the minimum requirement for a RAID 0 setup. Thanks anyway. Noe thats the easy part, supposed I would configure 5 80GB HDD as RAID 5, how would I compute for the sustained rate of the said setup given the same sustained RW rate per drive (20MB)

thanks again :)

4. thrillkiss

Thanks crjdriver, appreciate it buddy. Thought for a while that 2 disk would be the minimum requirement for a RAID 0 setup. Thanks anyway. Noe thats the easy part, supposed I would configure 5 80GB HDD as RAID 5, how would I compute for the sustained rate of the said setup given the same sustained RW rate per drive (20MB)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It should be double the single drive speed. As to any benchmark to use, I use SiSandra disk or file benchmark. There is a raid array that will let you use all three disks, however it does not give an increase in speed. It is a JBOD array; three drives in jbod would show as one drive with the sum of the capacity.

I think for what you want, two drives in raid 0 with a third for backups would give you the best performance.

6. thrillkiss

Thanks again crjdriver, I am planning to use solid state flash drives. They promises to give higher sustained rates compared to rotating drives, though it would cost me. On the otherhand, I need to have sustained R/W rate of 160MB/s. Any suggestions

thanks in advance.

regards :)

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only mechanical drive that comes close to that is scsi raid 0 using 15,000 rpm 8 meg cache drives. I think they are around 150 mps. A setup like that will be expensive.

8. thrillkiss

I have someone ask me, hope you can help me.
    They are using dual Xeon Processor and 13GB RAM. They are planning to use 11.5GB as cache for the R/W. I was thinking of a RAID5 or RAID 7 setup with at least 12 to 24 150GB HDD. What do you think?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have only setup raid 0, 1, and 01. I really have almost no knowledge of raid 5 or 7.

10. thrillkiss

thanks buddy, i do apologize, hope i din't anoy you that much, i'm a little hype about this. Got some answers/ recommendations with microsoft developers and try to simulate those.
    it was nice chatting with you
    :)
    GODSPEED....

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice