1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raid

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by x_saosin_x, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x Thread Starter

i duno, this mite be a stupid question but

can you put 2 ata hard disks in a raid configartion to make them one?

i know you can with sata but wasnt sure, i duno.

and also looking at getting a new hdd on friday which is sata, i can mix this with ata drives?

and also i want it as E: drive (3rd hdd) i got a 40gig master ata, a 80gig slave ata, but what would the other disk be, becuse they dont jumpers on do they? and i only have 2 sata slots on my motherboard.

ohh and if you can put ata in a raid or whatever, do you have to reformat them first and do it from there?

thanks

2. redcivic

redcivic

Has to be one type or the other from what I found out. I tried to get one SCSI and two SATA's to work and found out it is not possible. IBM told me you cannot have two different hard drive setups on one RAID config. That's what I get for just listening to any old tech because an associate told me it was possible..

3. Swiper

Swiper

I believe some motherboards will allow you to set up a Raid using IDE and SATA but, i wouldn't bother trying that

although they do recommend using identical hardrives in for a raid arraay, it is not always necessary.
    you can have 1 - 40 gig and 1 - 60 gig drive, the the array will only be as big as the small drive x2
    example: 40 + 60 would make a 40 + 40 gig array. A waste of 20gigs
    80 +120 would make a 80 + 80 gig array A waste of 40 gigs

you get the point ?

4. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x Thread Starter

ah rite, so im best off just having 3 seperate drives at the moment,
    so what about when i can afford 2 150gig raptors, will it get the full 300gig?

i wasnt meaning mixing ata with sata, i ment, will sata run along side with ata

as-in

c: ata
    d: ata
    e: sata

5. Swiper

Swiper

Depending on the type of RAID

Mirror would be 2 drives **appearing as one** 40 + 40 = 40
    Stripe would be 2 drives ** appearing as one,but with all space** 40 + 40 = 80

you can have as many hardrives as you have cables / connectors and power cords from PSU

good luck
    Swiper

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you create the array, you destroy all data on both drives. The array is partitioned and formatted just like any drive.

BTW if you are thinking of going with raid0, a backup plan is essential. If one drive fails, you loose all data on the array.

It has always been my opinion that if you want raid, buy a real raid card. Onboard controllers are just a cheap version of a real raid controller.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice