1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raise My Security

Discussion in 'General Security' started by jack-o-bytes, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hello there, I currently have Avast Free Antivirus on my computer and I was wondering whether that is enough. I mean I use the computer for just general web browsing and was wondering whether I needed a Firewall as well. Avast scans incoming and outgoing data but is that enough. I mean does a free program offer all that I need?

Thanks, Jack-O-Bytes

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

What version of Windows are you using? If you are using XP, then you need a 3rd party firewall, like Comodo, which is free.

Also you should have antispyware and anti-malware. I think a lot of people around here use SuperAntiSpyware, and MalwareBytes AntiMalware. They have free editions.

3. jack-o-bytes

Hello there. I am currently running Windows 7. Will having anti malware or spyware effect my antivirus program I already have?

Thanks for the help, Jack-O-Bytes

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

No they wouldn't - the free versions do not have realtime detection capability, only on demand scans and removal.

5. jack-o-bytes

OK I have installed Ad-Aware which seems good so far. :) Thanks for telling me I need something for adware and spyware. Here is a print screen of my Free Avast which is what I thought was the real time scanning thing.

Thanks for the help, Jack-O-Bytes

Attached Files:

6. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

It sounds like you misunderstood LunarLander's reply. The free version of Avast does have real-time scanning, but it's only scanning for certain types of malware (loosely speaking, viruses). The additional software recommended scans for other types of malware but the free versions of that don't have real-time scanning. So it's *possible* for you to scan on Monday, get infected on Tuesday, and not detect the infection until you scan again on Wednesday. For most people, that's good enough for the 'mild' malware.

So the points you need to consider are what the program is scanning for as well as when it scans.

7. jack-o-bytes

Thanks guys :)

Considering that I have Avast Free on at the moment. What other programs would you recomend that I download and install to make sure that my computer stays safe?

Thanks, Jack-O-Bytes

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice