1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ralink Turbo Wireless LAN Card?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JohnnyNnyC, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnnyNnyC

JohnnyNnyC Thread Starter

Alright so, I'm typing this from my laptop right now for my mother (who really isn't too computer savvy) because for some odd reason Ralink won't pick up on the wireless network we have here. She bought the Wireless LAN card right before Christmas and got it installed almost three weeks ago, and finally got herself a new monitor to finally be able to get on and set everything up.

But now there is a sudden problem.

You see, no matter what I try and try again to do, the Ralink Turbo Wireless LAN Card refuses to not connect to our wireless network and then when I click "View Available Wireless Networks" It comes up saying "No wireless networks were found in rage" how is that possible if I am using it right now?

I'm SO confused, any help would SURELY be appreciated- and thank you SO much for taking the time to answer me!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, you are using the wireless adapter with your laptop? And you can't disconnect from the wireless network? And the symptoms are the same whether the adapter is used with the laptop or with the other computer?

I'm at least a little confused also. :)

3. JohnnyNnyC

Oh! Excuse me for not being specific. '^^

You see, it's not an adapter that you would plug into your USB port. It's an actual card that you have install into the hard drive of the home computer to give it the wireless option like a typical laptop automatically came with.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, then I guess you are telling us that you know the router's signal is not actually disappearing.

Did the new card ever detect networks? Ever connect successfully?

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on that system?

5. JohnnyNnyC

It detected a Wireless Three Network but the moment I clicked on it, it brought up a different screen saying it didn't detect any networks- but how can that be when my laptop is on a wireless network right now? And it never did connect successfully either because it never did find any networks...

Ah, good question. Let's see, she is using Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're sure there never was a Norton or McAfee or whatever; not even a "trial" version?

Make sure the antenna is secure and not blocked by being in a corner or "behind" something.

Maybe the card is not seated properly. Physically remove and reinsert it. Also consider a different slot, as the slot could be bad. Or it could be positioned such that there is interference from another component.

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the card manufacturer's web site.

See above four paragraphs for clues to what could cause this. :) Of course, the card could be defective, but I'm trying to eliminate other possibilities.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice