1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ralink Wireless Internet booster HELP

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jkoehler411, Feb 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkoehler411

jkoehler411 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jesse
    I purchased an Ideaworks Compact Wifi Antenna in September/October and installed the software and drivers from the installation disk provided. It definitely worked perfectly without ANY issues until about the middle of November. ..so barely a month into having it.
    One day I noticed I wasn't able to connect it again (my laptop is scheduled to restart after it installs updates so after it restarts I was normally able to just reconnect by using Ralink- which was what the installation of this device provided.) and it had completely disabled or shut down my usb ports. I unplugged it from the usb port and restarted it because if I unplugged it and tried plugging in a jump drive or my keyboard- it wouldn't work. After restarting, my usb port worked but at soon as I plugged in my antenna it disabled it again. I have no idea what to do, I can't find any support on this product really and after emailing the seller numerous times and only got a headache out of the deal- I am at a loss for words and am clueless. Any and all suggestions, help, tricks, solutions- would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jesse

2. jcgriff2

jcgriff2

Hi. . .

It most likely is a driver issue with the Ralink wifi adapter. Usually, the drivers on the CD that comes with such a device at the time of purchase are already outdated and need to be updated.

However, Ralink wifi is notoriously difficult to find updated drivers for.

In my opinion, unless you can find an updated driver for the Ralink device, you'll most likely have to purchase a new wifi adapter. Ralink was bought out by MediaTek. I'm not sure if you'll find a driver update at their site or not -

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/

If you do go that route (purchase a new wifi adapter), be sure to purchase a Realtek, Intel, or other well known brand that updates drivers frequently.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!